Dropping class due to concussion? Need advice

Hello everyone!

I am in the second semester of my first year of my Master's degree (MS in Exercise Physiology, graduating in May 2018). I got a bad concussion at the end of my first semester (November 2016). I'm still having really bad symptoms (dizziness, nausea, trouble concentration, problems spelling and typing, etc.) I am taking 9 hours (3 classes, full-time). I had a 4.0 my first semester. I am working with a concussion doctor.

Two of my classes are pretty easy for me to keep up. In one class, all of our work is outside class (presentations worked on outside of class, our exams are essays we have a week to do, etc) and it is only once a week for 2.5 hours. My second class is a sports psychology class. Most of our grade is based on our psychology papers (done outside of class) and we have many assignments we do outside of class to prepare for class discussion. We have 2 exams, but they are mostly essay based and I am getting extended time if necessary (I have not taken the first exam yet).

My third class.... I'm struggling. I know all of the information, but I am having so much trouble concentrating (due to migraines and nausea) and retaining information that I didn't do well on my first exam. I also was having trouble trying to understand the questions on the exam (confusion due to concussion). About 80% of our grades are exams in this class. I know the professor well (I had him twice in undergrad) so I... basically cried in his office about how frustrated and sick I am. 

He basically said that there is no shame in withdrawing and that I should not ruin my GPA because I was not able to keep up with the work. Thankfully, the second exam is not until before the withdrawal date. He is willing to let me take the exam by myself and give me extra time if necessary. If I don't do well enough to salvage my grade, I can withdrawal. 

I'm worried because I want to apply to PhD programs (Ohio State being my #1). I'm worried about how bad a W would look... I don't know if it would be better to finish out the class and take the grade I get.. I don't know. I'm just really anxious about having a W. 

Any advice would be appreciated!!

One W on your transcript isn't going to be that important. If you get a letter from the relevant professor that explains that you're a good student who's done well but withdrew from this one class for health reasons, it's a non-issue entirely. It's not worth what you're doing to yourself. I would say, try the exam, but withdraw if you don't do well. And don't worry about it, you'll be fine. 

15 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

One W on your transcript isn't going to be that important. If you get a letter from the relevant professor that explains that you're a good student who's done well but withdrew from this one class for health reasons, it's a non-issue entirely. It's not worth what you're doing to yourself. I would say, try the exam, but withdraw if you don't do well. And don't worry about it, you'll be fine. 

Thank you! I know this is the logical answer but I've never been in this position before (struggling in a class) so I think I just needed some reassurance. Thank you!!