Reactions to PhD Study

7 hours ago, Yanaka said:

I don't wanna get out of school either @anxiousgrad , and that's how that I love what I'm doing and that I adore being in academia :P 

*That's how I know that I love..., obviously.

@JessicaLange looks like your sister's trying to give you some tough love, but does not know much about how academia actually is a job :rolleyes: 

@anxiousgrad I think it is definitely the glorification of weddings and the constant stating and restating about how "it's only once" and "it's YOUR day!" as if we get into PhDs all the time. I think some of it is also just plain ol' discomfort with knowing how to help. They aren't really able to ask much beyond "what will make you happiest?" because the intricacies are lost on them. And I don't expect them to understand something they have never experienced, it would be nice not to have my fears dismissed. It's also a strange dynamic because I am a first-gen student, but I've also always been the most academically inclined, so I think they probably forget that I struggle with different things than they do. I wonder how much of it appears less difficult to them, since we are challenged with such different things in our lives. An important perspective to remember! But a hard one sometimes. 

I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful mentor who has helped me ask some questions I never would have considered on my own, but I appreciate the reminder and encouragement to continue to do so. And of course, to remember that not everyone wants to get married! I'm in your camp too. I LOVE weddings, but I'm not so sure how I feel about it for myself. And totally not the point, but the dress color she picked is just awful. I hope someone tells me if I'm about to choose the PhD program-equivalent of my friend's bridesmaids' dress color, haha. 

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, catsnbikes said:

And totally not the point, but the dress color she picked is just awful. I hope someone tells me if I'm about to choose the PhD program-equivalent of my friend's bridesmaids' dress color, haha. 

Ha ha ha! Make all the bridesmaids look bad so that you look really good! Oldest trick in the book!