Seriously, what to do.

umumum

Hi all, 

so. I'm in the humanities, hoping to start an M.A. this fall. I live and study in Canada (as that might be relevant?). 

I applied to 3 schools, and have been accepted to one, with funding. The problem is, the deadline to accept this offer is SOON (ie. tomorrow), but I haven't heard back from either of the other 2 schools. Both of them are preferable, for practical reasons. 

I requested the deadline be extended while I wait for the other schools, but was told it's not possible. I reached out to the other 2 schools to see if I can get an update on my applications; they will both be sending out acceptances this week (one as early as Wednesday), is all I was told. But I can't wait that long, since I can't extend the deadline for this one school. 

The school I've been accepted to now knows that I'm holding off to hear from the other 2 schools, so if I back out later, they'll know why, obviously (and they'll also know that I basically just accepted them as a placeholder?). 

I'm just not too sure what to do here. I want to accept in case I don't get into the other two - plus this offer is very attractive! But if I do get accepted elsewhere, I'm most likely going to have to come back to these guys and decline. I also don't know if there are any legal repercussions or anything to be aware of (especially as there's funding involved) - what is binding? I know that one reason accepting and declining later is a big no-no is because it can mess up other students' chances. But at most, I see myself having to wait 1-2 weeks before coming back and declining this offer, so I don't think it would mess up anyone's chances too much?

Yeah. I could just really use some advice/thoughts from others. How bad would it be to accept this offer and later decline?

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!

Accept the offer for now because you don't know what other results are going to be like. I'm sure you are going to get into them too! but we don't know what kind of funding offer you will get :) 

If one school is going to send out the offer tomorrow by mail, is there any way you could get the reply by phone tomorrow if you explain the situation? Can you go in person (if the school is driving distance) to show some ID and get a reply? Or maybe they could make an exception and email the decision to you if you speak to the director and explain the situation.

If you explain that you prefer to attend their program (and explain the reasons why you like their program) but you have been put into a position where you need to accept the first offer to be guaranteed a spot somewhere in the fall, then they might be more willing to make an exception and tell you in person or by email.

If the offer to the second school is more attractive, then you can decline the first one and wait for your third result before making a final decision. If it isn't, then you might just need to go ahead and accept it before hearing back from the third school.

Edited by thelionking