Georgetown McCourt 2017

any recommendations on negotiating for more funding? should one include documentation of all offers that are more generous? include offers that are less generous? play it slow and have a back and forth negotiation?

what has been this community's most successful tactics?

@thex11factor, I'm an international student and therefore won't be able to make it for the Open House. However, I will be attending the online chats organised for admitted students. 

The words 'McCourt community' at the end of one of the emails we've received is a link to a Facebook group for admitted students. Are you part of that group yet? 

Also, in my negotiation email I requested for an enhancement in the scholarship by making a need-based plea. 

2 hours ago, nahuja32 said:

@thex11factor, I'm an international student and therefore won't be able to make it for the Open House. However, I will be attending the online chats organised for admitted students. 

The words 'McCourt community' at the end of one of the emails we've received is a link to a Facebook group for admitted students. Are you part of that group yet? 

Also, in my negotiation email I requested for an enhancement in the scholarship by making a need-based plea. 

still time to book logistics to visit!

I contacted them about reconsidering and all I got was an offer to extend my decision deadline

so, both admit days are complete. what did everyone think?

here are my highlights:

- there was a singular consensus from all speakers (staff, faculty, students, alums) about being in DC and being in the center of everything (I wondered how they really differentiate from other DC programs like American, GW and SAIS)

- students are encouraged to seek semester internships & part-time jobs beginning their 2nd semester on campus (students end up averaging 3 internships prior to leaving the program)

- emphasized 3-semester quant sequence as part of core (basically teaches you all stats, and how it can be applied to real policy applications)

ultimately it's an applied program (use what you learn as you intern) with loads of networking opportunities b'c of its location advantage, where you can learn from practitioners

it's very DC, and you have to be prepared for and want that

Edited by thex11factor

For those accepted with funding - were the details of your funding in your admissions letter? I was accepted but it doesn't say anything about whether I received any scholarship aid. 

54 minutes ago, QK91 said:

For those accepted with funding - were the details of your funding in your admissions letter? I was accepted but it doesn't say anything about whether I received any scholarship aid. 

yes it was in the letter. I had to scroll down

• 6 months later...

In case you're considering McCourt/Georgetown and you're in the DC area, you could come to this recruiting event next week (pizza provided!):

https://www.linktank.com/event/mccourt-school-s-dc-area-professionals-recruiting-event

You'll meet director of admissions Adam Thomas, who's a pretty cool guy.

Disclaimer: I'm a first-year McCourt student just passing the word along.