Low-Ranked PhD or Chicago MPSS

My cycle just finished up and my choices are relatively straightforward— I was accepted at my undergrad institution, George Mason, which is a pretty low-ranked program.  However, I have several good matches within the faculty.  Additionally, I was given four-years of funding.  I also was accepted into U of Chicago's MPSS program, without funding. While this program is well-respected and better ranked, it also involves taking on a boatload of debt.  I was wondering if anyone here had any different perspectives or advice?  Also, I am not sure if I should post this here or in the main "decisions" thread for all disciplines. 

I was told not to do a PhD at the same place you did your BA. I'm not in your subfield, so things may be different. You should probably talk to your advisors. If you don't accept the GMU offer, would that burn bridges and make attaining letters (you may need one even if you are getting letters from Chicago) difficult? What are your career goals? 

These Chicago masters programs are cash-cows, as you seem to realize. In my opinion, it'd be a much better plan to spend a year or two in your PhD program (say, until you get your masters there) and then apply again and try to get into a better program. Then, you have some grad experience under your belt but no debt. This is not a terribly uncommon path, and I know several people who've done it. I also know someone who went to one of these Chicago programs and ended up at a school ranked in the 40s, so in my opinion, it's not clear that the debt is worth it, by any means. 

9 hours ago, PizzaCat93 said:

These Chicago masters programs are cash-cows, as you seem to realize. In my opinion, it'd be a much better plan to spend a year or two in your PhD program (say, until you get your masters there) and then apply again and try to get into a better program. Then, you have some grad experience under your belt but no debt. This is not a terribly uncommon path, and I know several people who've done it. I also know someone who went to one of these Chicago programs and ended up at a school ranked in the 40s, so in my opinion, it's not clear that the debt is worth it, by any means. 

One related question, receiving funding from a PhD program with the goal of only getting masters and reapply again, isn't that going to leave a bad impression if the department finds out that's what you are up to? I mean academia is relatively a small circle, is it likely that doing so will only earn yourself a poor reputation and sabotage future career path?

My career goal is to have a policy-relevant position in academia.  I worked on the Hill and the Pentagon, and almost all of my bosses advised bouncing between academia and the public sector.  This has me leaning towards the MA, as I can apply to top 20 PhD programs, and have a degree that carries some weight as a backup option if I apply for jobs. I don't think declining GMU will burn any bridges.  My thesis advisor is helping me get in touch with contacts at U of C and one of my other letter writers has been quite open to me pursuing higher ranked opportunities. I do not want to burn bridges by attending Mason and leaving after two years with an MA.  

On 3/2/2017 at 10:52 PM, Jung666 said:

One related question, receiving funding from a PhD program with the goal of only getting masters and reapply again, isn't that going to leave a bad impression if the department finds out that's what you are up to? I mean academia is relatively a small circle, is it likely that doing so will only earn yourself a poor reputation and sabotage future career path?

How are they going to find out? Asking for LORs are the only way they would, but good professors want what is best for a student, so if it's clear that the student has a chance at a higher ranked PhD program, then I don't see why they'd be upset about that. I personally know someone who did this, and they did not have any negative consequences from doing so; it was certainly a good decision, career-wise. Also, it's not uncommon for people to leave with a masters, whether to enter the workforce or to transfer to another school. Funding isn't contingent on finishing the program; it's only contingent on being successful while you're there.

imho, taking on debt for a nonprofessional masters is really not at all a good idea. You're looking at several years of a low stipend during a PhD program, then not-great job prospects after graduation. Post-docs rarely have a salary >$50k, and assistant professorships have starting salaries in the $60-70k range. Taking on ~$20k or more in debt for a terminal masters is not a good financial decision. 

If OP is seriously concerned about reputation, then it might be best to decline both offers and try again next year. 

Edited by PizzaCat93

I'll echo the caution about debt and nonprofessional masters. Reputation alone would be too big of a risk for me to get a degree that may or may not help me get to my larger goal. If you are on the level with GMU folks, and explain your long term goals, I'm sure they would understand and help you with using the MA to move where you can be successful. No hard feelings, just trying to be realistic and professional.

One could easily end up with debt in the mid-5 figures after completing an unfunded masters somewhere expensive like Chicago, which (like others have mentioned) is really insane for a non-professional masters. Another thing to consider is that, while there is some chance that you'll build relationships with high-profile profs at Chicago, you'll be competing for attention with PhD students and you'll be at a significant disadvantage. I agree with @PizzaCat93: you have funding at GMU, so it would be better to attend for a couple of years and then move up.

Honestly it's not worth taking on masses of debt for a masters and your job prospects with a low tier PhD aren't phenomenal (hell... even a high tier PhD doesn't get you more than a foot in the door). Consider attending the George Mason program and leaving after the masters years (either transfer to another program if you're good enough or take the terminal masters and go on to do something else with your life). Otherwise, apply again next year and think about what kinds of MA programs are worth applying to on a cost-benefit basis.

I would personally apply again next year. I did a masters degree but most of it was funded and only spent approximately 10k on it (which I had in savings).

I wouldn't have done it otherwise.