glori

I got accepted to Columbia on Feb 8th, but I just heard back from UNC today morning. I had made up my mind to go to Columbia and even bought flying tickets to visit the campus for the admitted student day. 

Although UNC is ranked 2nd in SPH, at this point I'm a bit concerned about the overall school reputation. Just wanted to seek some advice before making a decision. I should still choose UNC over Columbia, right?

Thank you in advance! 

5 hours ago, glori said:

Although UNC is ranked 2nd in SPH, at this point I'm a bit concerned about the overall school reputation. Just wanted to seek some advice before making a decision. I should still choose UNC over Columbia, right?

UNC is ranked #5 public university by USNews. I wouldn't be concerned there.

39 minutes ago, bookworm45 said:

UNC is ranked #5 public university by USNews. I wouldn't be concerned there.

Ohh like overall reputation tho :(

I told some of my friends I got into Columbia. And they were like "omggggg congrats!!!!"

And when I told them I got into UNC, they were like "Is it in North Carolina?" -_-

Edited by glori

I'm not sure about Columbia biostats but there's a lot of people talking how their Stats MS is basically a joke and they admit like 250+ students and get taught by adjunct faculty (I would guess their biostats is not too much different). No one is going to argue that Columbia has more "brand name" power than UNC, so if that's what matters to you then go to Columbia. If you want to work in public health, I imagine the "biggest" employers will come to the more highly ranked schools in terms of public health as opposed to overall ranking, so bear that in mind. I'm sure the cost for Columbia will also be astronomical compared to UNC.