Doctoral Education Programs and School Choices

Scui

Hi guys, 

I am applying for Doctoral programs mainly in Higher Education and International Education.

I got accepted into Higher Education Management from University of Pittsburgh ( PhD. program ) and Higher Education from University of Rochester ( Ed.D program ) and two upcoming interviews from George Washington University's Ed.D. program in Higher Education Administration and George Mason University's PhD.program in International Education.

I want to stay at D.C. where I got my Master's degree because I know many people here, but I also want to go outside of D.C. to explore more new places.  

Is there any more from the higher ed field can give me some advice about choosing the programs between Higher Education and International Education and which university is the best in this field? 

Thank you so much! :)

At the doctoral level - it is about about who you would work with and what your research interests are which you haven't told us so it is hard to advise...

Also do you want to go faculty or admin when you finish?  That also may change where you select as well.  The funding situation would be helpful to know at each school because sometimes that can change a lot.

Edited by ZeChocMoose

18 hours ago, ZeChocMoose said:

At the doctoral level - it is about about who you would work with and what your research interests are which you haven't told us so it is hard to advise...

Also do you want to go faculty or admin when you finish?  That also may change where you select as well.  The funding situation would be helpful to know at each school because sometimes that can change a lot.

Thank you so much for your reply! My research interests would be international higher education and student affairs, especially related to international students. 

My plan is to work at a university setting instead of being a faculty, like as a staff member. 

Your answers are very help. Would you mind to share a little bit of your background in higher ed? 

Thank you very much! 

The better question might be what are your concerns about the programs that you have gotten it to?  Is it just that they are outside of DC?

I assume you selected these 4 programs because there was something about them that you thought would be a good fit for your career and research interests.  Noone is going to be able to tell you what the best program for you is - you will need to do some additional research and talk to current students and faculty.  I would pick the one that has the most curriculum overlap, has at least a couple faculty that you would like to work with and ultimately put on your dissertation committee, gives you funding, and allows you to gain research or admin experience with international students while you are in the program.  It is going to be really difficult to get a job working in an international office without relevant experience.  It is not clear what your professional experience is or how long you have been working in the field.

My research interests/experiences aren't related to international students - but I have good friends who have worked/are working in those areas.  Mostly, they don't do their PhD/EdD full-time though.  If you are really just interested in admin, I would keep my full-time job and pursue my doctoral part-time.  Research PhDs in education are not particularly that helpful in getting admin jobs.  Or you can take a full-time job once you finished your coursework and qualifying exam and then you just do the dissertation from afar.  That is what a lot of PhD students in my program do who are not going the academic route.

Edited by ZeChocMoose

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 7:31 PM, ZeChocMoose said:

The better question might be what are your concerns about the programs that you have gotten it to?  Is it just that they are outside of DC?

I assume you selected these 4 programs because there was something about them that you thought would be a good fit for your career and research interests.  Noone is going to be able to tell you what the best program for you is - you will need to do some additional research and talk to current students and faculty.  I would pick the one that has the most curriculum overlap, has at least a couple faculty that you would like to work with and ultimately put on your dissertation committee, gives you funding, and allows you to gain research or admin experience with international students while you are in the program.  It is going to be really difficult to get a job working in an international office without relevant experience.  It is not clear what your professional experience is or how long you have been working in the field.

My research interests/experiences aren't related to international students - but I have good friends who have worked/are working in those areas.  Mostly, they don't do their PhD/EdD full-time though.  If you are really just interested in admin, I would keep my full-time job and pursue my doctoral part-time.  Research PhDs in education are not particularly that helpful in getting admin jobs.  Or you can take a full-time job once you finished your coursework and qualifying exam and then you just do the dissertation from afar.  That is what a lot of PhD students in my program do who are not going the academic route.

Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you so much for your advice! I will think about seriously. 

• 3 months later...