How to go about finding paid research coordinator/assistant positions?

Sherrinford

Hello everyone! This is my first post so excuse me if it is in the wrong place. I'm currently a Masters student (NYC). After not succeeding this application cycle, I want to find paid part-time research work and am not entirely sure how to go about looking. I had a few questions specifically:

1. I know what clinical population I would specifically like to do research with. However, in my searches via job/internship sites, I haven't been finding paid research positions with those specific populations. I'm worried about getting a job doing research with a different population/research focus, would that count against me when I apply to doctoral programs again? I am also volunteering part-time at a research lab working with a population that I do like. 

2. There are many great schools and clinics in my city...but I know that the labs generally just have volunteer RAs with only the coordinators getting paid. Would it be unusual to email some of these labs asking them if there were opportunities for paid research work? 

Appreciate any form of guidance or tips! Thank you. 

~Sherrinford

I would look on the Job Search sites at the schools/clinics you are interested in working at.  I got my RA/Lab manger role through the university job site.  It can't hurt to also email the labs directly.

33 minutes ago, Sherrinford said:

Hello everyone! This is my first post so excuse me if it is in the wrong place. I'm currently a Masters student (NYC). After not succeeding this application cycle, I want to find paid part-time research work and am not entirely sure how to go about looking. I had a few questions specifically:

1. I know what clinical population I would specifically like to do research with. However, in my searches via job/internship sites, I haven't been finding paid research positions with those specific populations. I'm worried about getting a job doing research with a different population/research focus, would that count against me when I apply to doctoral programs again? I am also volunteering part-time at a research lab working with a population that I do like. 

2. There are many great schools and clinics in my city...but I know that the labs generally just have volunteer RAs with only the coordinators getting paid. Would it be unusual to email some of these labs asking them if there were opportunities for paid research work? 

Appreciate any form of guidance or tips! Thank you. 

~Sherrinford

1. In my experience, this will not count against you. Schools want to see that you have research experience and you're able to handle the duties that come with research studies. Working with your population of interest is a plus but not necessary. It seems you do have experience working with your population. 

2. I also live in New York and I found there are a lot of paid opportunities when looking for a new research position last year. Search "research coordinator" on indeed.com. You can also look through job opportunities on specific school or hospitals websites. I know Weill Cornell, Mount Sinai and NYU have had a lot of opportunities in the past.

hope that helps! 

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies, it does help! I admit as I have been used to volunteering at labs, finding paid opportunities is a process that is very new (and a bit anxiety provoking) to me. 

I will heed everyone's suggestions.