Location vs. Prestige (for the millionth time probably)

Hi all, so I have gotten accepted to two terminal master's programs at two good schools (both Ivies). Price is the same at both.  Having a hard time choosing 

School A: #1, Extremely prestigious, the name/program would get me a lot of career connections and the school has huge resources. The con is that it is in a city I really don't like or know anyone in, that is quite expensive. I'm worried the adjustment to a new city would affect my schoolwork and quality of life. 

School B: The "hometown" school. Was planning on going here but had a terrible visiting day experience-the other admitted students seemed unintelligent, and the current students said a few things that were quite rude. Good name recognition and resources. furthermore, I currently live in  and love this city, and am building connections here on my own. The professors seem great. Don't pay rent here. 

Having a hard time choosing-the better school in a worse location, or a school i'm not as into in a good location. 

2 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Hi all, so I have gotten accepted to two terminal master's programs at two good schools (both Ivies). Price is the same at both.  Having a hard time choosing 

School A: #1, Extremely prestigious, the name/program would get me a lot of career connections and the school has huge resources. The con is that it is in a city I really don't like or know anyone in, that is quite expensive. I'm worried the adjustment to a new city would affect my schoolwork and quality of life. 

School B: The "hometown" school. Was planning on going here but had a terrible visiting day experience-the other admitted students seemed unintelligent, and the current students said a few things that were quite rude. Good name recognition and resources. furthermore, I currently live in  and love this city, and am building connections here on my own. The professors seem great. Don't pay rent here. 

Having a hard time choosing-the better school in a worse location, or a school i'm not as into in a good location. 

Honestly, I would go to the first school. Given that it is a Master's program, it's not a long duration--even if you hate it, you won't be stuck there for 5+ years, and it sounds like you'll have a lot more opportunities upon graduation. You also might grow to like the city, especially after you get to know people. 

When you say that the cost is the same, are you taking into account the cost of rent and tuition vs. cost of tuition and free rent? Or are you just looking at tuition? If it's the latter, then they are not similar in cost and you will need to determine the total cost and decide if you are willing to pay (or get a loan for) the difference.

When you say that you are worried about being able to adjust, are there any specific life experiences you've had or things you know about yourself that give you the feeling you would have a hard time making new friends and adjusting? Or do you think it comes from never moving before, being afraid to do it and not knowing what to expect?

This could be an opportunity for you to step outside your comfort zone, to see a different part of the country and to learn new ideas, meet new people and to make new friends. By overcoming your fears, you can become more self-confident and proud of your self for overcoming one of your fears. You will also become more independent and mature in the process. 

If, on the other hand, you have more profound reasons for not wanting to leave - maybe you are extremely timid, used to be bullied in school, possibly have a social anxiety disorder or other health/mental health issue you need extra support for - then having stability, consistency and a solid support system might be what you need to excel. Only you have the right answer to this question.

When all is said and done, barring any extenuating circumstances making it difficult for you to leave, I'd go with the first option for the reasons the poster mentioned above. But if you have to take out a loan for this option, then I'd go with the second if it means you'd have to take out $30,000-40,000 is loans or more for living costs (but only because only because I hate taking out loans. They're no fun paying back).

No I wouldn't have to take out loans. I definately have a bit of social anxiety, but I moved to a new country last year and loved it and found it to be a great experience. I do love my friends/family/life in this city though so its a difficult choice. 

The cities are close enough (2-3 hr train) that my parents said I could always come home if I want to. I am leaning towards the first, but have never visited that city before, so I need to see the vibe. I guess im scared of losing friends, etc.