American SIS vs SAIS vs GPS

runomgrun

Hi all. So, I was hoping someone could answer some of the IR program questions I have about SIS, SAIS and the UCSD GPS program. Among all three, SAIS undoubtedly has the best all around reputation, and strong training in economics and quantitative analysis. But, from what I've heard so far, unless you're a really outstanding applicant, it's pretty hard to get funding, plus TA positions are few and far in between (my impressions from various personal research). On the other hand, there's American University, located in DC... does anyone know about how quantitatively rigorous this program is?? I am planning on regionally focusing on East Asia, but I still want good quantitative training out of a program. UCSD, from what I know, although lacking in terms of broader reputation and connections in government, has interesting course listings, and provides students with rigorous quantitative training on par with SAIS (or, maybe, more). I've been admitted to UCSD so far, but am waiting from responses from SAIS and SIS. Hoping to hear some input from current IR students who know of these programs, or from applicants who are in the same boat as I am. Thanks! :D

Hi Runomgrum

Have similar questions: except I've applied to SAIS, SIS and Sciences Po (PSIA). Got an admit at PSIA, but will only hear back on funding end-April. Meanwhile, my husband has got a PhD admit at American Uni (full tuition and sizeable stipend), which complicates things further re: cities to live in and so on.

Those in the know - would be great to hear your opinions. :)

Hi Runomgrum,

I used to work for a professor in SIS on Esat Asia. And from my observation, it seems that there is not a lot quantitative courses there. But you can take quantitative courses from other departments like spa and economics.

Good luck with your applications.

On 3/6/2017 at 3:10 AM, deboleena said:

Hi Runomgrum

Have similar questions: except I've applied to SAIS, SIS and Sciences Po (PSIA). Got an admit at PSIA, but will only hear back on funding end-April. Meanwhile, my husband has got a PhD admit at American Uni (full tuition and sizeable stipend), which complicates things further re: cities to live in and so on.

Those in the know - would be great to hear your opinions. :)

Congratulations on getting into PSIA! I hope everything works out well for you and your husband. I just got my acceptance letter from SAIS today... but with no financial aid. x___x

On 3/7/2017 at 7:19 PM, Rui Wang said:

Hi Runomgrum,

I used to work for a professor in SIS on Esat Asia. And from my observation, it seems that there is not a lot quantitative courses there. But you can take quantitative courses from other departments like spa and economics.

Good luck with your applications.

Hi Rui,

Thanks for sharing that. Did you go to SIS for your Masters? I should ask SIS about that directly. Quantitative training is kind of important to me. I want to take knowledge-based political science courses, but still emphasize hard economic skills. 

23 hours ago, runomgrun said:

Congratulations on getting into PSIA! I hope everything works out well for you and your husband. I just got my acceptance letter from SAIS today... but with no financial aid. x___x

Congratulations on the admit! Too bad about the financial aid: Are you thinking of taking it up nonetheless? I got accepted yesterday with some financial aid. Do update if you decide to take up the SAIS admission and are at the Bologna campus: it'll be great to catch up.