Email from Maryland (UMD) Chemical Engineering

Moccalatte

Question

I've received an email about a week ago from a prof. At UMD college park asking if I would come to University of Maryland, Chemical Engineering, if I was offered full financial aid. I responded immediately saying yes and he forwarded my email to director of admission and cc'ed me. He added a nice comment on the forwarded email.

Haven't heard anything since then and it has been 7 days. What do you think is my status? Should I contact the prof? I need some feedback!! Anyone who was in this position?

Thank you!

23 answers to this question

Huh, ok. I got questions like that as an international student, with the reasoning that the relevant departments had very limited funding for international students and once it's been offered to someone, it can't be repurposed if the person declined, so they wanted to make sure I'd say yes before officially admitting me. I guess that could also happen to domestic students, though I can't say I've ever really heard of that. 

In any event, since it's been a week, I think it's okay to follow up to ask about your status and when you might have an official answer. I think mentioning that you're naturally anxious and would like to have your decision settled would be quite understandable.

15 hours ago, pureint16 said:

I received a similarly worded email from the graduate program director about a week ago and they just recommended me for admission to the Graduate School, if that helps. 

What does "recommended for admission" mean? were you accepted? by email? by web site? How were you notified? Did you get a fellowship/tuition waiver?

Thank you so much!

Was the prof Dr. Klauda? I was notified by graduate program coordinator via email. The offer comes with tuition waiver (up to 10 credits) and ~30k annual stipend. The admission is subject to final approval/review by the graduate school, hence the term "recommended for admission". The department will be holding an open house on 3/17 so you should hear from them very soon. All the best!

14 minutes ago, pureint16 said:

Was the prof Dr. Klauda? I was notified by graduate program coordinator via email. The offer comes with tuition waiver (up to 10 credits) and ~30k annual stipend. The admission is subject to final approval/review by the graduate school, hence the term "recommended for admission". The department will be holding an open house on 3/17 so you should hear from them very soon. All the best!

I was sent an email by one on the potential PI on my application, Dr. Raghavan and when I said I was interested in admission, he replied with an email saying "I am glad to hear of your interest! I am forwarding your information to our graduate program coordinator, Dr Klauda." which was cc'ed on the email. This has been 8 days ago. I am getting worried... Do you mind to share your statistics? And thank you for your response :)

I will have to wait until I get a chance to talk with the professors before making any decision. No, but I do not think we share the same research interests (I am primarily interested in computations). I am not sure if you had noticed but someone (an American student?) received an offer of admission on 2/27 according to the results page. All the best! 

Not yet. It was nice. The graduate student turnout at the graduate open house and bowling session was low so I did not get a chance to speak to many graduate students (those were held right before UMD's spring break started and most of them were probably busy getting experiments/reports done before going on vacation). There is still time before 4/15 so you can try requesting for a visit (they might be willing to pay for the expenses). 

Yes, the graduate school still has to approve it (it is more of a procedural thing). I received an official letter from the Graduate School 6-7 days (via the website) after being notified of my unofficial acceptance by the department.

@Moccalatte Did you end up accepting UMD's offer, if you don't mind me asking? If so, do you know if the 10 credit tuition remission applies to both in-state and out-of-state students (i.e. will out-of-state and international students need to pay for the difference between the in-state rate and out-of-state rate)? I am assuming that both out-of-state students and in-state students will be waived from paying any tuition fees (if <= 10 credits according to the offer) and are only responsible for the mandatory fees but please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

Honestly, I am not sure, but must likely you are waived. You can ask Kathy tomorrow. I'll send her an email about it as well. 

I accepted my offer today!

How about you, have you accepted?

Yes, I accepted the offer about a week ago. Did Kathy end up replying to your email? I emailed one of the current PhD students (who is also an international student) and he said he only had to pay for insurance and mandatory fees.