GRE Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology Test

FailedScientist

Hi Guys! Now that the GRE Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology Test has been discontinued, do you think universities expect students to sit exams in either Biology or Chemistry, or are subject tests just not important at all when it comes to the application process? Anyone with some insight on this new change?

Hi there!

When I first applied to grad school, I indicated biochemistry as my field of interest and therefore I didn't take any subject test. So if this is also your case, I would say don't worry about it. In hindsight after talking to other applicants during interviews, I think taking any GRE subject test is useless unless you have a low GPA  or your school is not very well known or if you didn't major in the sciences. Just save your money if you can. There are other more important factors than tests (such as LORs). I hope that helps!

I go to a school that most professors haven't heard of (a very small LAC) and I still didn't take the subject test and got great results. If you have other external evaluations of your achievement (awards or letters of rec from outside your institution) then it really shouldn't be necessary unless you have a low GPA.

4 hours ago, MoreInformation said:

Subject tests are useful if you come from a school that the faculty hasn't heard of and therefore are unable to assess the quality of your biology education. Do not waste your time with the exam if that does not describe your background. 

2 hours ago, Kaede said:

I go to a school that most professors haven't heard of (a very small LAC) and I still didn't take the subject test and got great results. If you have other external evaluations of your achievement (awards or letters of rec from outside your institution) then it really shouldn't be necessary unless you have a low GPA.

Unheard of school, low GPA, or actually if you're applying to a program for which your undergraduate major or coursework doesn't seem to fit the picture (an example in my current class would be a music major who took time off, did a post bacc program, and took the GRE Bio exam to apply to a Biomedical Sciences PhD program).

6 hours ago, Infinito said:

Unheard of school, low GPA, or actually if you're applying to a program for which your undergraduate major or coursework doesn't seem to fit the picture (an example in my current class would be a music major who took time off, did a post bacc program, and took the GRE Bio exam to apply to a Biomedical Sciences PhD program).

In that case, let's be real: these exams are just a way for ETS to make money. No need to play into that.

3 hours ago, PhD_RPs said:

OP your username is annoying AF, your posts always make me cringe. Does GRE matter when you consider yourself a "FailedScientist" good luck in your future, I'd suggest choosing a different career path if you've fucked up on interviews so many times. Peace dawg

Wow, you're being really constructive here, bud. Give yourself a pat on the back. 

4 hours ago, PhD_RPs said:

OP your username is annoying AF, your posts always make me cringe. Does GRE matter when you consider yourself a "FailedScientist" good luck in your future, I'd suggest choosing a different career path if you've fucked up on interviews so many times. Peace dawg

I'm sorry my username offended you, no need to be so toxic. I created the profile at a low point hence the pessimistic name. I am an international student with average stats, (3.5GPA, >80th percentile GREs, top 100 university in most world rankings) and I tend to apply to very competitive programs as personally doesn't feel worth it to me to make all the sacrifices to go to a school that I am not happy with. Unfortunately this has led to many a rejection. I'd rather keep working as an RA until I build up the research background to go somewhere I would be happy with. P.S I haven't had the chance to interview with the US but every other professor I have interviewed with in other countries have supported my applications and/or offered me jobs.

All my friends (including myself) didn't take subject GREs, and we all got to top programs. I was also a little bit worried because most programs explicitly say that "subject GREs are highly encouraged), but at the end I think it doesn't really matter.