Info on Harvard EdM -- Risk and Prevention

JerusalemTeacher

I would like to be in touch with someone who is or has been a student in the Harvard Risk and Prevention program. I am very interested in it, and am considering applying for the 2011-2012 year. My main questions regard the scheduling and the difficulty of the program.

If you are or have been a student in the program, please contact me. In specific, I wonder:

How demanding is the 16-hour internship and what sort of schedule does in entail in combination with the classes and schoolwork?

Does the 16-hour internship go on during intersession and/or finals?

Do most classes have finals or are most assessments limited to papers?

I suppose I have other questions, but this is a good beginning. I am considering applying to study at Harvard during a sabbatical, and want to see how realistic (though crazy) it will be, given that I will probably return to Israel several times througout the year to be home with my family.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi!

I am currently in R&P, but I am doing the research strand, not the practicum strand. But, from what I know from my friends' experiences, you are required to work 16 hrs per week (although some end up working slightly more). Most R&P classes take place on one day of the week (last semester it was Tuesdays) to accommodate students' schedules. I don't know anyone who had an impossible time fitting research or practicum in their schedules. It is my understanding that students communicate frequently with their site in order to plan out what kind of working schedule would be mutually beneficial.

Also, at the beginning of the year, practicum students participate in a "site fair" where they get to check out sites and arrange interviews with them. I believe this process helps facilitate communication about schedules and expectations. I also think that most students to not have to work at their sites over winter break. (I'm not sure if this is an R&P policy, or if students arrange work over winter break with sites individually.)

By far, most finals and midterms are papers. I can only think of a few classes at HGSE that have actual midterm or final exams.

If I didn't do an excellent job of answering your questions, or if you think of more, I'd recommend contacting the program coordinator, Alicia. She is incredibly helpful.

(http://www.gse.harvard.edu/about/directory/listing.shtml?vgroup=all&vtype=last&vletter=&vperson_id=78115)

Wow I was just about to post the same exact thing. I also am looking into this program for the 2011-2012 year. I'm currently a teacher and have been looking at this and Columbia-TC's program in pyscholgoical counseling since I am very interesting in becoming a school counselor. Any thoughts on the program would be great!

Also does anybody have any idea of the job outlook regarding school counselors? I now what the job outlook web site saids but I would like views from people in the program or who have already graduated. Thanks!