Slowly freaking out

As most people here, I have a difficult decision coming up. I have two school choices that are polar opposites (UC Irvine UMiami). I love both schools for completely different reasons. In terms of research and science Irvine is my top place (they also keep offering me more and more money to go there). The con here is there is close to 0 people of color in the community, student body, or faculty pool. Its a very suburban area which I am not used to. I am coming from NYC, the biggest melting pot, and this is going to be a huge and difficult culture shock for me. On the other hand, UMiami is also a great place in terms of diversity and environment and its not to far from home. The con though is they only offer 28.5 k to live without any subsidized housing. IDK what I am going to do and would appreciate some advice or someone to commiserate with. Would also appreciate any advice or insight on living in either city? 

First, congratulations on two offers! This is definitely an exciting time. While I don't personally have any experience with either of these cities in particular, I have visited schools that are vastly different from where I am used to in terms of diversity and pace/style of living. I'm also from New York so I totally understand how different it can be going practically anywhere else. I think my first question is for UMiami, do they offer any other funding to you in terms of research grants, summer opportunities, or things like that? It might ease the housing situation a little bit. Have you talked to students at UMiami? They might have some insight on the living situation or how they make ends meet, other sources of funding, or things like that. 

When I made my choice, it was pretty similar. A lot of money, or the community. When I visited the program where I would be well-funded, I didn't feel comfortable there. Definitely out of place for a lot of reasons. When I visited the school that had a greater sense of community, there were more opportunities for everyone to create a feeling of "home". I ended up choosing the community feeling over the money because I couldn't imagine living in a place for 4-5 years where I didn't feel comfortable, regardless of the money that the program offered. That's just my personal experience. 

Of course, I am definitely not the best authority on this, but your situation sounds very similar. Wherever a person feels the most comfortable (in the environment as a whole) is the place that I think they will thrive best. Best of luck with your decision! 

The difficulty of moving somewhere different and adjusting to the culture will always be challenging. However, I find it somewhat odd that you say that UC Irvine, a school whose undergrad student population is less than 20% white, is "close to 0 people of color." Irvine is boring and suburban (IMO) but it is very diverse, in close proximity to Los Angeles and its cultural resources. 

Also, 28.5K in Miami is nothing to sneeze at. If you're willing to share an apartment with roommates, that's a pretty healthy stipend for Coral Gables.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either place - they're both great options.

@scarvesandcardigans Thank you for this insight!  I think I may be leaning towards the community feeling as well. Its really important to me not to feel like the token PoC and I did not feel that at all at UM. UMiami covers tuition costs and offers the annual stipend but there doesn't seem like there is much other funding offered within the program. I hope you are doing well where you chose!

@duran0 Greetings! I visited Irvine and I am basing it on more than just reported statistics (i.e. visiting labs, meeting faculty, touring the campus, my specific department). It may not seem like it, but its pretty difficult to move somewhere where there is nobody that looks like you. Nonetheless, moving is scary no matter where you go like you said and I'll have to suck it up.

3 hours ago, thewholeenchilada said:

@duran0 Greetings! I visited Irvine and I am basing it on more than just reported statistics (i.e. visiting labs, meeting faculty, touring the campus, my specific department). It may not seem like it, but its pretty difficult to move somewhere where there is nobody that looks like you. Nonetheless, moving is scary no matter where you go like you said and I'll have to suck it up.

I only mention the statistics because it signals that there might be spaces for community beyond the lab or department. I'm a mixed race person of color (and an immigrant with an accent!) so I get the fears about moving somewhere different and feeling like you won't be able to fit in. Just didn't want you to totally reject a place that you say has the best research prospects based on the bland suburban landscape of Irvine, because my sense (again, just from short visits and knowing some POC grad students there, so these are general impressions) is that there might be more than meets the eye. That said, it sucks to be the token poc/queer person/woman in a program and those microaggressions take a toll on your psyche and your health. If the only reason why you're not choosing Miami is because of the stipend, I think the 28.5K will be enough to live on - my sister did Americorps in Coral Gables for a year and survived on less than half that amount! Like I mentioned, I don't think you can go wrong with either place. 

9 hours ago, thewholeenchilada said:

As most people here, I have a difficult decision coming up. I have two school choices that are polar opposites (UC Irvine UMiami). I love both schools for completely different reasons. In terms of research and science Irvine is my top place (they also keep offering me more and more money to go there). The con here is there is close to 0 people of color in the community, student body, or faculty pool. Its a very suburban area which I am not used to. I am coming from NYC, the biggest melting pot, and this is going to be a huge and difficult culture shock for me. On the other hand, UMiami is also a great place in terms of diversity and environment and its not to far from home. The con though is they only offer 28.5 k to live without any subsidized housing. IDK what I am going to do and would appreciate some advice or someone to commiserate with. Would also appreciate any advice or insight on living in either city? 

I agree that you can easily live off of 28.5K in Miami. I lived in NYC and that amount of money is worth way more in most other cities.