Minnesota Math requires TOEFL

tomatoes

So I applied to the Math Ph.D. program at the University of Minnesota and it turns out that they require the TOEFL for everyone who did not grow up with English as their native language. No other school I applied to has this requirement. Even though I've been living in either the US or Canada ever since 4, they still are forcing me to take the TOEFL. But I didn't even know about it until I contacted them asking if my application is complete.

Should I even bother taking this exam now considering that god knows when they will actually receive the scores?

Does anyone know why they even have this requirement?

From the UMN FAQ "The TOEFL exam is also required, unless you spoke only English at home while growing up."

That is really absurd, I would call them to sort this out immediately, if you have been in the US and Canada most of your life and went to an english speaking university, there is no reason to take the TOEFL. There are plenty of students in the US who grew up in families that speak in spanish as well as english while at home, and I don't see how that should be punished this way.

Hope it all works out for you, though.

tomatoes, I had a similar issue with SUNY stony Brook neurosci - the application website stated that everyone who is not a native speaker has to take TOEFL. However, I emailed the program coordinator and she said it would be waived if I get accepted since I received my bachelor's degree in the U.S. Typically if you have a degree from a nationally accredited institution they waive TOEFL. But do ask the program!

So I emailed minnesota and their response was "After consulting with the Director of Graduate Studies, he asked me to let you know that you application will be reviewed and any offer would be contingent upon receiving your TOEFL scores." which is just ridiculous.

I got the impression from reading through the FAQ that it's a university-wide requirement, and the math department has no control over it. It's really only a requirement for them being able to offer you support as a TA (most students are supported as TAs), I don't think you'd technically need it if you had a fellowship/outside support.

I don't think it's really that big of a deal: an offer "being contingent on something" generally means they just need to get it eventually. A few schools I applied to just required an unofficial copy of my transcript for the application, and then my acceptance was "contingent upon" me getting them an official copy at some point over the summer. So I don't think you'd need to take the test now, you just need to take it eventually if you decide to go to Minnesota.