Jump to content

How to tell a school I am interested in their offer but still waiting for admission decisions from other schools?


ShewantsthePhD

Recommended Posts

I was admitted to a Ph.D. program in mid-Feb. I am very happy to be admitted to this program, as it is my second choice. The program director emailed me this morning inquiring about my thoughts on the admissions offer (basically, asking if I was probably going to accept or decline). However, I have yet to hear back from my first choice school. I am unsure how to go about replaying to the email from the second choice school. I want to sound interested, as I may end up going there if I am declined from my top choice. I also do not want to sound committed, as it is still possible that I may decline the offer. How should I go about this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something along the lines of:

Yes, I am very interested in the offer and it is one of my top choices. Right now, I am still waiting to hear from one other school before I have all the information I need to make my final decision. I expect to receive this information by X. [End with some statement showing appreciation for the opportunity to attend their program.]

---

What you should do before you reply though, is to email your first choice school and let them know that you are interested in their program and that you have an offer from 2nd choice school (name it, instead of saying it's your "second choice school" lol). Ask them when they expect to have a decision for you. Then you can fill in "X" in the sample statement above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use