Stat/Biostat 2010

ssong2

So I got admitted to OSU, Rutgers(Unofficially) in statisitcs, Upitt in biostatistics

I am still waiting for Washing biostatistics and Wisconsin Statistics

(I havent heard anything from them. oh well)

Does anyone know about funding in Upitt? The official letter did not mention anything about funding. :(

At least I got in a couple schools so I can have choices now.

I have now been (unofficially) accepted to the Statistics program at Duke! I'm so excited! They said that the funding package and official forms etc would arrive in the mail in the next week or so.

I still have not heard from Wisconsin, so I'm assuming rejection. I also haven't heard from Berkeley, Cornell, or PennState.

It's nice to have two acceptances though, at least I have a choice!

I also got the e-mail from PSU. I thought I was just on waiting list. Hey, Piwi if you know you are not going there, please decline it for me or someone else so we might have a better chance to get funding. I am pretty sure that Duke or Harvard are a better choice than PSU (I also applied Duke and havent heard anything from them :( sad)

Edited by ssong2

I also got the e-mail from PSU. I thought I was just on waiting list. Hey, Piwi if you know you are not going there, please decline it for me or someone else so we might have a better chance to get funding. I am pretty sure that Duke or Harvard are a better choice than PSU (I also applied Duke and havent heard anything from them :( sad)

Right now my acceptance from Duke is unofficial. Once I get the official notification with funding etc, I will be withdrawing my application from a few schools, and Penn State will most likely be one of them. I definitely do NOT want to prevent someone else from getting funding if I'll be headed somewhere else anyway.

I just got a mail saying I am admitted to UNC biostatistics. The letter does not mention

anything about fundings. I am curious that anybody knows about funding situdation in UNC biostatistics program.

If it is no funding offer, I am just wondering it is a good idea to take this no funding offer over my other

fellowship offers from Rutgers.

Thanks

Hey, congrats about Duke, Piwi! Any idea did Duke send all their offers? I am still waiting to hear something from them but I have other nice offers and this is preventing me from choosing one.

I don't know if they've made all their offers. I know they interviewed several people in January/February. However, one of the current grad students said that he hadn't been accepted until early April (and got his "interview" then as well). So I'd say don't give up hope.

If it's preventing you from making a decision maybe email them? (Though I'm guessing they won't know for sure what your status is until they know who is/is not accepting their offers.)

I don't know if they've made all their offers. I know they interviewed several people in January/February. However, one of the current grad students said that he hadn't been accepted until early April (and got his "interview" then as well).

Yes, I do plan to email them the next week. From what you are saying I understand that Duke interviews all of the top ranked students, is that right?

By the way mind sharing in a pm your GRE General and Subject scores and other relevant stuff from your application? This will help me evaluate my chances of getting admitted to Duke and hopefully to make my mind whether to accept the offers I have now or to keep waiting.

I applied to 12 schools, which was a logistical nightmare, but I knew that I didn't want to wait around another year and apply again. I'm also a somewhat atypical applicant, since I'm depending on my work/research experience more than my academic record in my application. I was a math major, but never took stats/probability (unless you count Lebesgue Integration). I've been doing bioinformatics work of a statistical nature for the last two years at an academic institution

Out of curiosity, did those of you applying to these same schools take the GRE Math Subject test? It's tough to find the time with a demanding full time job (and nearly 4 years since graduating), but I probably should have made the time. General GRE was no problem (although next year my score would have been too old!), and the vast majority of stats programs don't require the subject test, but I wonder how many do take it. With two acceptances, it's mostly water under the bridge, but if I took a masters program at a school I preferred, I may end up taking it later down the road.

I consider many of those I haven't heard back from to be longshots, but there's probably one or two acceptances left, or at least an offer for the masters program. Maybe the style now is to send out more PhD. acceptances but with no funding. Washington sent out a strange pair of emails; the first saying they had no funding for anyone for 2010-2011, the second saying I was rejected. Not sure what that was about; trying to make me feel better?

No word:

Harvard Stat

Johns Hopkins Biostat

Berkeley Stat

Michigan Stat

Stanford Stat (M.S.)

U. Florida Stat

U. North Carolina Chapel Hill Stat

U. Chicago

Cornell Stat

Accepted:

Iowa State (funding, possible fellowship/comajor)

Wisconsin-Madison (no funding)

Rejected:

U. Washington

I applied to 12 schools, which was a logistical nightmare, but I knew that I didn't want to wait around another year and apply again. I'm also a somewhat atypical applicant, since I'm depending on my work/research experience more than my academic record in my application. I was a math major, but never took stats/probability (unless you count Lebesgue Integration). I've been doing bioinformatics work of a statistical nature for the last two years at an academic institution

Out of curiosity, did those of you applying to these same schools take the GRE Math Subject test? It's tough to find the time with a demanding full time job (and nearly 4 years since graduating), but I probably should have made the time. General GRE was no problem (although next year my score would have been too old!), and the vast majority of stats programs don't require the subject test, but I wonder how many do take it. With two acceptances, it's mostly water under the bridge, but if I took a masters program at a school I preferred, I may end up taking it later down the road.

I consider many of those I haven't heard back from to be longshots, but there's probably one or two acceptances left, or at least an offer for the masters program. Maybe the style now is to send out more PhD. acceptances but with no funding. Washington sent out a strange pair of emails; the first saying they had no funding for anyone for 2010-2011, the second saying I was rejected. Not sure what that was about; trying to make me feel better?

No word:

Harvard Stat

Johns Hopkins Biostat

Berkeley Stat

Michigan Stat

Stanford Stat (M.S.)

U. Florida Stat

U. North Carolina Chapel Hill Stat

U. Chicago

Cornell Stat

Accepted:

Iowa State (funding, possible fellowship/comajor)

Wisconsin-Madison (no funding)

Rejected:

U. Washington

I applied to some of those schools: UNC Chapel Hill, Berkeley and Cornell, and did not take the GRE subject (I ended up taking it anyway since I needed it for one place, but didn't send it to these other schools then either). I'm curious how you could apply to U. Chicago without a subject score unless it's for a MS degree? And the situation at U. Washington is very peculiar, I didn't apply there due to a statement on their webpage that they would have very little funds for incoming students in F2010. Apparently, very little was an over estimate on their behalf...

Good luck with your applications!

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd provide an update (and a bump.) I've now been rejected by both Purdue and Michigan, choices 4 and 3, respectively. I should be hearing from both UIUC and OSU, choices 2 and 1, respectively, this week.

I applied to some of those schools: UNC Chapel Hill, Berkeley and Cornell, and did not take the GRE subject (I ended up taking it anyway since I needed it for one place, but didn't send it to these other schools then either). I'm curious how you could apply to U. Chicago without a subject score unless it's for a MS degree? And the situation at U. Washington is very peculiar, I didn't apply there due to a statement on their webpage that they would have very little funds for incoming students in F2010. Apparently, very little was an over estimate on their behalf...

Good luck with your applications!

For Chicago it was listed as a strong recommendations that you take the Math Subject test, but since they also consider applicants for the M.S., I just applied. I got into the M.S. program with a moderate tuition reduction, but the national needs fellowship offer from Iowa State pretty much sealed the deal for me. I contacted UNC about my application a week ago, and they replied that they're still making decisions. When I get the letter from ISU and gather the nerve to sign it, I'll let UNC and UFL know I'm no longer in this dog-and-pony show. Congrats on your admits, Pierre. Have you made the final decision yet? Some people would find the name Oxford irresistible, but you have a good choice of countries at your disposal.

For Chicago it was listed as a strong recommendations that you take the Math Subject test, but since they also consider applicants for the M.S., I just applied. I got into the M.S. program with a moderate tuition reduction, but the national needs fellowship offer from Iowa State pretty much sealed the deal for me. I contacted UNC about my application a week ago, and they replied that they're still making decisions. When I get the letter from ISU and gather the nerve to sign it, I'll let UNC and UFL know I'm no longer in this dog-and-pony show. Congrats on your admits, Pierre. Have you made the final decision yet? Some people would find the name Oxford irresistible, but you have a good choice of countries at your disposal.

I never saw the re-written "guide" for applicants, I could have sworn that the subject test at least used to be mandatory since this was actually one of the reasons I did not apply to U.Chicago...Oh this hurts a little, I would definitely have thrown in an applications otherwise. And here I tell people how important it is to really research the departments you are considering :). Congrats on Iowa, that's really nice. I haven't made a final decision yet. Oxford is indeed tempting but we'll see, I am waiting for their funding decisions and that is of course a quite crucial part of the offer. I'm also going to talk some more to the inteded supervisor to see how well my interests/aims coincide with what he wants to do.

Congrats rooster34. I am planning to decline the offer from OSU this week and hope you get that offer

(I think you mention OSU as the first choice)

P.S Does anyone know the stat program in Rutgers?

I talked with someone who got a Masters at Rutgers -- said the overall program was very good, but the quality of life among grad students was very low. Almost miserable. While I understand it's a good program, I want to make sure I'm enjoying life a little...

I talked with someone who got a Masters at Rutgers -- said the overall program was very good, but the quality of life among grad students was very low. Almost miserable. While I understand it's a good program, I want to make sure I'm enjoying life a little...

That is really sad, because i was seriously considering to go to Rutgers. However, no one wants to have a miserable life. hmm

Congrats rooster34. I am planning to decline the offer from OSU this week and hope you get that offer

(I think you mention OSU as the first choice)

Thanks, ssong2!

That is really sad, because i was seriously considering to go to Rutgers. However, no one wants to have a miserable life. hmm

Oh, don't forget about it because I said something! I'd feel bad. Go check it out for yourself, or even ask the director for a couple of students' email addresses to have a chat.