Michigan Biostatistics vs UNC Biostatistics (Both PhD)

I am very fortunate to hold offers from the PhD programs in both Michigan Biostatistics and UNC Biostatistics. Since I didn't apply to any of the other big names in Biostat (Harvard, JHU, Washington), I think this is the best outcome that I could have hoped for. The debate between UNC and Michigan seems to be one of the most popular in this forum, and there has been some discussion here:

My situation is pretty similar, except that I was somehow accepted directly into the PhD program at Michigan. Both programs have offered me funding for 4-5 years, and I really have no location preference (maybe leaning slightly towards Michigan, since it would be nice to see snow again after living in California for so long). 

I also have no research preference at the moment. I like both theoretical statistics and more applied work, although I would prefer a program with a stronger theoretical background. My professors have told me that UNC will offer a more in-depth theoretical education, but that Michigan is much stronger in statistical genetics/genomics. I don't know if I want to work in genetics research yet, but a lot of people have told me that this is the direction that biostatistics research is heading, and a lot of new academic hires are being made in this field. I definitely want to go into academia, so taking up statistical genetics would be no issue for me if it helps me eventually become a tenure-track faculty member. I have less interest in clinical trials, although I really don't have a lot of experience in this field, so it could be very possible that I will really enjoy it (or it could be possible that I will not enjoy it at all). 

I would really like to start some discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of both programs here. If you have something to add, I would love to hear your input!

Edited by reallyworried

Also, does anyone know whether the two schools differ significantly in terms of academic placement? I know it depends a lot on your choice of adviser, but given that I don't even know what field I want to specialize in yet, it's hard for me to look at specific people. I know UNC has a lot of very famous people in Biostat, but I hear that Michigan has been placing a lot of people into academia lately because statistical genetics is such a rapidly growing field. I couldn't find a list of placements for either program online (I know Michigan sent us a flash drive with after-graduation placements included in it, but it only included placements for the Masters program for some reason). 

Edited by notasworried

You seem to already know the big comparisons between them. I don't think you'll get an unbiased opinion/comparison of them anymore than what you already know.

With that said, here are my thoughts:

UMich and UNC are very similar in 'prestige'... I wouldn't place one above the other in general. You already know stat genetics will be bigger at UMich. As for other specific areas of research, I'm not really sure on how they compare. I know for the area of my dissertation research (which I won't share for anonymity), there are faculty at both places that work in the area (2 at UNC and 3 at UMich)... but you admit yourself you're a blank slate going in. With that attitude, either will be great option for you and there really isn't a bad choice. In terms of job placement, I'd guess they're about the same in terms of the 'prestige' of jobs graduating students get. I think UMich has bigger cohorts though, so student placement will appear skewed towards UMich if you don't factor that in. 

Honestly, I think you are way overthinking this. They are both great programs and will produce similarly successful students.  

3 hours ago, Biostat_student_22 said:

You seem to already know the big comparisons between them. I don't think you'll get an unbiased opinion/comparison of them anymore than what you already know.

UMich and UNC are very similar in 'prestige'... I wouldn't place one above the other in general. You already know stat genetics will be bigger at UMich. As for other specific areas of research, I'm not really sure on how they compare. I know for the area of my dissertation research (which I won't share for anonymity), there are faculty at both places that work in the area (2 at UNC and 3 at UMich)... but you admit yourself you're a blank slate going in. With that attitude, either will be great option for you and there really isn't a bad choice. In terms of job placement, I'd guess they're about the same in terms of the 'prestige' of jobs graduating students get. I think UMich has bigger cohorts though, so student placement will appear skewed towards UMich if you don't factor that in. 

Honestly, I think you are way overthinking this. They are both great programs and will produce similarly successful students.  

What do you think about comparing schools like UNC and Mich to Harvard and Washington. What would the big differences be between say a UNC/Michigan and UW/JHU as far as student placement or research focus.

4 hours ago, Biostat_student_22 said:

Yeah I kind of agree with this. I would say you couldn't go wrong either way. If you are absolutely sure you want to do genetics, then clearly Michigan is the way to go. If you have no idea what you want to do, maybe UNC has a slight edge. Since the program prestige is roughly identical, you might also consider other factors like climate, setting, etc. 

15 hours ago, footballman2399 said:

Yeah I kind of agree with this. I would say you couldn't go wrong either way. If you are absolutely sure you want to do genetics, then clearly Michigan is the way to go. If you have no idea what you want to do, maybe UNC has a slight edge. Since the program prestige is roughly identical, you might also consider other factors like climate, setting, etc. 

I want to second this - think of lifestyle. If you hate snow, definitely UNC. If you want a big football team, definitely Michigan. If you're outdoorsy, UNC would be a bit better. Cost of living I suspect is pretty similar. 

Ill point out that with UNC being in the research triangle, you have exposure/connections to more pharma than you would probably get at UMich. I think there is more clinical trials and environmental work being done at UNC than Michigan as well, although I can't cite any sources on that, just a feeling I have. 

16 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

What do you think about comparing schools like UNC and Mich to Harvard and Washington. What would the big differences be between say a UNC/Michigan and UW/JHU as far as student placement or research focus.

UNC/Michigan are a small step below UW/JHU/Harvard. Student placement probably only differs in academia; industry is pretty much equal across the board. The way I think of it, average to good students from UW/JHU/Harvard will have a decent shot at getting faculty positions in top ranked departments, while students from UMich and UNC would have to be good to great students. As you go down the rankings, only exceptional/outstanding students will realistically get faculty poisitions in higher ranked departments. I personally know someone who graduated from an average department that got a faculty position in the top 10... it's possible, but the ride there is easier coming from top places 

On 3/13/2017 at 7:48 PM, notasworried said:

I am very fortunate to hold offers from the PhD programs in both Michigan Biostatistics and UNC Biostatistics. Since I didn't apply to any of the other big names in Biostat (Harvard, JHU, Washington), I think this is the best outcome that I could have hoped for. The debate between UNC and Michigan seems to be one of the most popular in this forum, and there has been some discussion here:

My situation is pretty similar, except that I was somehow accepted directly into the PhD program at Michigan. Both programs have offered me funding for 4-5 years, and I really have no location preference (maybe leaning slightly towards Michigan, since it would be nice to see snow again after living in California for so long). 

I also have no research preference at the moment. I like both theoretical statistics and more applied work, although I would prefer a program with a stronger theoretical background. My professors have told me that UNC will offer a more in-depth theoretical education, but that Michigan is much stronger in statistical genetics/genomics. I don't know if I want to work in genetics research yet, but a lot of people have told me that this is the direction that biostatistics research is heading, and a lot of new academic hires are being made in this field. I definitely want to go into academia, so taking up statistical genetics would be no issue for me if it helps me eventually become a tenure-track faculty member. I have less interest in clinical trials, although I really don't have a lot of experience in this field, so it could be very possible that I will really enjoy it (or it could be possible that I will not enjoy it at all). 

I would really like to start some discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of both programs here. If you have something to add, I would love to hear your input!

Hi! I'm also choosing between these schools-- for a completely different program, however, but I'm still just as conflicted. I'm very interested in hearing what you decide. For me, it's going to come down to finances. I'm hoping I receive a scholarship from one of the schools, thus making my choice for me, but I'm not sure how likely this is. Good luck!