I got into both the Hertie School of Governance (MIA & MPP) and SIPA MPA. The schools have a duel degree program but you are supposed to apply to the second school as an enrolled first year at the first institution. The school exchange goes both ways.

Does anyone know if you can be simultaneously admitted into the full duel degree to begin with? Nothing on the website talks about this, but I don't want to go through another set of applications now that I am already admitted to both programs.

Hi, congrats because I'm interested in both programs. I know that you are asking for some information, but could you share some of your background to know if I have some chances to get in?

18 hours ago, lilyco said:

I got into both the Hertie School of Governance (MIA & MPP) and SIPA MPA. The schools have a duel degree program but you are supposed to apply to the second school as an enrolled first year at the first institution. The school exchange goes both ways.

Does anyone know if you can be simultaneously admitted into the full duel degree to begin with? Nothing on the website talks about this, but I don't want to go through another set of applications now that I am already admitted to both programs.

You can't, I have asked this question in the past and it's also specified in the SIPA website.  My suggestion would be to do your first year at SIPA given that it's much more competitive to go from Hertie to SIPA than vice versa. 

On 3/15/2017 at 3:59 PM, OxfordApplicant said:

You can't, I have asked this question in the past and it's also specified in the SIPA website.  My suggestion would be to do your first year at SIPA given that it's much more competitive to go from Hertie to SIPA than vice versa. 

Thanks for the info/suggestion @OxfordApplicant what program did you end up choosing?

FYI to all - I talked to someone in the LSE- SIPA duel degree, 20 SIPA students applied to the LSE duel degree and 2 went to LSE. So going to SIPA first guarantees you get into SIPA, but you might be stuck with paying an additional $80k rather than ~$20k at Hertie/LSE. Also electives are completed at the second institution you attend, so by going to SIPA first, you miss out on SIPA electives.