Seeking RA position

msd79m

I have been admitted to a university without Financial Aid. I contacted some professors, but I didn't receive positive responses. Regarding the fact that I can't go there without FA, I have 3 questions:

- Do you think there is any chance to find an available RA position from another professor?

- Should I contact the Graduate Director? (his research interest is different from mine) if yes, what should I say?

- what about deferring my admission to Spring semester?

I would highly appreciate if you share your experience and idea.

Sounds rough. Make sure you explore all your options. If the RA thing doesn't work out, can you get loans? A part-time job? Did you fill out a FAFSA?

At the schools I applied to, many of them don't want to offer RA positions in the first year, they'd rather you be a TA, and build a relationship with a professor. Most of them aren't set up to handle new entrants in spring, they don't even offer appropriate classes in many programs.

Maybe if you can you swing 1 year with no funding from the school, you can get an RA for the following year... or a fellowship...

Good luck to you.

What field are you in? I am in the same boat for engineering...When I talked to my adviser, he made it sound as if all PhD students get at least partial support in some way. I have emailed some profs but havent got a response for a week. My plan is to just talk to everyone in my interest area and see. I noticed at my school that there are a lot of adjunct faculty who work in the nearby medical center, so Ill try them if none of the others work. I am also looking at some internships that I could do for fall semester and maybe defer until spring.

I think you should talk to your adviser and just directly ask him what your % chance of getting funding is...they are usually pretty understanding about lack of funding being a problem...

Thank you for your suggestions.

Sounds rough. Make sure you explore all your options...

Actually I'm an International student so that getting loans is extremely difficult. Also, I can't afford the expenses even for one semester. I have to forget it if I can't get a kind of funding

What field are you in? I am in the same boat for engineering...

My field is Engineering, too (Electrical Eng.). What do you mean by "adviser"?

I afraid the sending emails to many of professors makes a bad reputation. Am I right?

• 3 weeks later...

"Adviser" is the professor who you consult with to plan out your degree. It doesnt always mean you do research for them, but they oversee everything you do, and make suggestions, etc.

I'm about 99% sure that sending emails to professors won't give you a bad reputation, if anything:

1) they get to know you and your situation

2) they see you are really interested

3) It makes it easier to call them, or talk in person.

I think the Director of Graduate studies is the most important to talk to.

Have you had any luck finding funding? I haven't secured anything yet, but I haven't been really active in trying lately...

"Adviser" is the professor who you consult with to plan out your degree. It doesnt always mean you do research for them, but they oversee everything you do, and make suggestions, etc.

I don't have any adviser in the target university :(

I'm about 99% sure that sending emails to professors won't give you a bad reputation, if anything:

1) they get to know you and your situation

2) they see you are really interested

3) It makes it easier to call them, or talk in person.

I think the Director of Graduate studies is the most important to talk to.

Thanks for sharing your thought. The research interests of the director of Graduate Studies are different from mine. What should I say to him? Is it ok to tell him about my financial problem?

Have you had any luck finding funding? I haven't secured anything yet, but I haven't been really active in trying lately...

I am exactly in the same situation. I am really frustrated and don't know what I should do.