What did you major in for undergrad?

What did you get your undergrad degree in?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What was your major in undergrad?

• Political Science
    • Public Administration
    • International Relations
    • Business Administration
    • Economics
    • Other (describe in comments)

I was a journalism major and I have to say - I didn't love it at the time, but it was super helpful for both law school and grad school, where a huge part of my grades were dependent on essay/research paper writing.

Double majored in Physics & Religious Ethics, lol

I don't think it really matters all that much as long as you can show some basic quantitive chops. I have the impression that work experience seems much more important than the name of your major. I'm sure it helps, though, if you can weave your undergrad experience into a narrative about service and public policy! 

8 minutes ago, tinpants12 said:

Double majored in Physics & Religious Ethics, lol

I don't think it really matters all that much as long as you can show some basic quantitive chops. I have the impression that work experience seems much more important than the name of your major. I'm sure it helps, though, if you can weave your undergrad experience into a narrative about service and public policy! 

I will attest to the fact that work experience and building a narrative are far more important than the name of your major. I certainly do not attribute my admissions to committees being thrilled to have a theatre major in their ranks.

Ahem, I think this survey is somewhat flawed in design...

... but seriously, I think this reflects a common misconception that people who are interested in MPPs/ MPAs must have majored in something related to public policy in undergrad. Many people did something completely unrelated to public policy, and it was only after a few years of work experience that they became interested in grad school for this area. I met so many people in grad school who came from a different undergrad background, and we all felt like we were anomalies, until we talked to each other!

That being said, I was a sociology major.

5 hours ago, chocolatecheesecake said:

Ahem, I think this survey is somewhat flawed in design...

... but seriously, I think this reflects a common misconception that people who are interested in MPPs/ MPAs must have majored in something related to public policy in undergrad. Many people did something completely unrelated to public policy, and it was only after a few years of work experience that they became interested in grad school for this area. I met so many people in grad school who came from a different undergrad background, and we all felt like we were anomalies, until we talked to each other!

That being said, I was a sociology major.

I made this as a away for those who KNOW they want to get a masters and have not yet gone to undergrad. This was the case with me a few years ago and I just kinda guessed. 

Thankfully, masters programs are super flexible about undergrad so it doesn't truly matter, I just thought it would be interesting to see.