Questions about timelines!

Hi guys,

I got accepted to one of my schools (keeping it quiet for now) and am waiting for others. I have a few questions on how others deal with timelines. In the end, I NEED to go to the cheapest school for me. However, the school I just got into told me I probably won't hear about a possible GA position until late May. Given that other schools will notify me hopefully by next month, how do I manage trying to compare numbers? For instance, let's say I hypothetically manage to get into 3 schools. All 3 want commitments, but I won't be able to line up the cost differences until I have definitive word from each school re: any possible GA or TA funding. How does one manage?

Also, question about FAFSA. Do people normally apply for it, like....now? Or later on? I did it years ago for undergrad and have no idea how it works for grad.

Thanks, all!

Kate

Not sure about your first question but omg do your FAFSA TODAY! ! ! The schools will not be able to prepare a financial aid package for you until you get it done.

Edited by zurako
typo

4 minutes ago, zurako said:

Not sure about your first question but omg do your FAFSA TODAY! ! ! The schools will not be able to prepare a financial aid package for you until you get it done.

Wait seriously? Dude now I'm freaking out. I had no idea to do it prior to even hearing any acceptances....just got one recently.

2 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

Wait seriously? Dude now I'm freaking out. I had no idea to do it prior to even hearing any acceptances....just got one recently.

Yes. Some schools have a deadline and some don't, but since you are already accepted to one school it is imperative you do your FAFSA so that school can process it. I am sure that it will work out in the end, just call their finaid office to straighten things out! 

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance! I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I need to go to the cheapest school. What I've done is calculated my expenses (including cost of living/rent! I forgot to do this at first, but for me at least, it's a huge factor) for each school, and determined the total cost of the program for each.

I would say after doing this, just plan to go to the cheapest school if that's what you need to do. Don't include "possible" funding, because nothing is guaranteed! I don't think you can base your decision off of something that may/may not happen. If a funding offer from another school comes before your deadline, you might decide to change your choice at the last second (this is my plan! I'm probably not going to accept an offer until close to the deadline.)

Regarding your FAFSA: Yes, do it today! I did mine in October, since it opened way early this year. This is how the school makes your financial aid package, and determines your eligibility for other grants/scholarships/tuition waivers/etc. 

Edited by JcSLP

I think this is a big flaw in the process. Or maybe there is a reason for it that I just don't know about. But you just can't plan for funding, period. I agree with @JcSLP; make a choice on the cheapest school as things are now. 

Also, about the FAFSA... I am in the same boat. I feel so stupid and I am having to scramble to figure that out. Undergrad feels so long ago and I just completely forgot about it! Not sure if it will still count since deadlines have passed :( 

5 minutes ago, JcSLP said:

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance! I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I need to go to the cheapest school. What I've done is calculated my expenses (including cost of living/rent! I forgot to do this at first, but for me at least, it's a huge factor) for each school, and determined the total cost of the program for each.

I would say after doing this, just plan to go to the cheapest school if that's what you need to do. Don't include "possible" funding, because nothing is guaranteed! I don't think you can base your decision off of something that may/may not happen. If a funding offer from another school comes before your deadline, you might decide to change your choice at the last second (this is my plan! I'm probably not going to accept an offer until close to the deadline.)

Regarding your FAFSA: Yes, do it today! I did mine in October, since it opened way early this year. This is how the school makes your financial aid package, and determines your eligibility for other grants/scholarships/tuition waivers/etc. 

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I'm kind of freaking out now about FAFSA. I have a file since I used it for undergad, so I guess I use the same one. It says at one point that I am considered "independent" and therefore do not have to enter parental information, but may want to if I am in law school or going for a medical profession. How do you approach this? 

1 minute ago, plume said:

I think this is a big flaw in the process. Or maybe there is a reason for it that I just don't know about. But you just can't plan for funding, period. I agree with @JcSLP; make a choice on the cheapest school as things are now. 

Also, about the FAFSA... I am in the same boat. I feel so stupid and I am having to scramble to figure that out. Undergrad feels so long ago and I just completely forgot about it! Not sure if it will still count since deadlines have passed :( 

wait SERIOUSLY? so we might not get loans??????? I CANNOT go to school without federal loans.

1 minute ago, Kate22192 said:

wait SERIOUSLY? so we might not get loans??????? I CANNOT go to school without federal loans.

Wait wait wait! I don't know. You need to contact your programs and file your FAFSA. I am just going off of a deadline on one school's website that I would like to attend.

1 minute ago, Kate22192 said:

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I'm kind of freaking out now about FAFSA. I have a file since I used it for undergad, so I guess I use the same one. It says at one point that I am considered "independent" and therefore do not have to enter parental information, but may want to if I am in law school or going for a medical profession. How do you approach this? 

I'll PM you!

I honestly I'm so confused now. There is a part on the FAFSA where you list your schools. I only got into one school so far. Do I list the others anyway even though I didn't even hear back from them? I can't believe I had no idea about this. I'm totally freaked out now

7 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

I honestly I'm so confused now. There is a part on the FAFSA where you list your schools. I only got into one school so far. Do I list the others anyway even though I didn't even hear back from them? I can't believe I had no idea about this. I'm totally freaked out now

List all the schools you applied to.

8 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

List all potential schools. Don't freak out too much. I'm still in undergrad but I filled out my FAFSA extremely late (think June) one year. There was still funding. It depends on your school/program etc. I'm not sure if it'll be the same for every school/department but all you can do is apply and wait. Its worth it either way.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm working on it now and will call the school tomorrow. I'm trying not to freak out but kind of failing haha. I don't understand how it differs by school...

So guys, I submitted my FAFSA tonight. After submission, an option appeared that said "Start your state application to apply for New Jersey state-based financial aid."

Would this be something to do now? Later? After I see what FAFSA offers? Also, my EFC (expected family contribution) was something like 013388. Does this mean they feel I can pay for 13k of my education? uhhh no. I have a good chunk of assets in the bank but it's 100% to pay for rent for over two years. Anyone know if that will affect the amount I receive?

11 hours ago, plume said:

@Kate22192 I'm sorry if I helped freak you out, I am just dealing with this right now as well. I hope you were able to figure some things out!

It's okay! Everything seems good now. I called the school and she said I'm totally fine. That deadlines they have are really only for undergrads, as grad students aren't going to receive grants or scholarships, etc.

20 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

It's okay! Everything seems good now. I called the school and she said I'm totally fine. That deadlines they have are really only for undergrads, as grad students aren't going to receive grants or scholarships, etc.

Nice! 

There's a state deadline (usually in March) and there's a federal deadline (I think in June). As long as we meet the federal deadline we should all be fine. You only need to meet the state deadline if you want to be considered for state-based funding. If you're entering a funded program and only need the FAFSA on file for logistic reasons, then there's no realistic need to worry about missing the state deadline.