Synthetic Organic

Synth

I thought it'd be nice to have an area just for the organic chemists, to share their experiences on visit weekends/profs they've visited where they're currently thinking about going, and all in all, just a place to meet other people interested in doing organic chemistry for the next 5-6 years of their life!

Well I am looking to do synthetic organic chem, more specifically synthetic bio-organic, preferably with medicinal or biomedical applications.

Accepted at:

UNC-CH: Visiting March 12-14

Cornell: Visiting March 5-7

Still Waiting on:

Yale

RPI

Dartmouth

I'm heavily favoring Cornell at this point, but am waiting until I visit to make the final call. I have a list of profs at each school I am interested in, which I am hoping to whittle down when I go and actually meet them.

Accepted: Chicago, Emory, and Boston University

Rejected: Princeton

Waiting: Harvard, MIT, Columbia, Scripps, Penn, Berkelely, Cal Tech, and Boston College

I'm visiting Chicago in two weeks and will probably visit BU during their weekend of March 19-21.

Yep. Organic it is.

Accepted UNC-CH, Rejected U of Chicago.

Still waiting on Penn, MIT, and Pitt.

so47, who you looking to work with at UNC? And PS, you know me.

lol I do know you! Small world even on the internet! I'm really interested in Waters and Crimmins. Also like Johnson, Kohn, and I think I put Lawrence and Nicewicz down to interview with when I visit too. What about you?

I have a quick question for people visiting Stanford.

Other than Du Bois, Trost, and Wender, who are y'all planning on visiting with while you're there? I'm having difficulty compiling a list.

I was thinking maybe Kanan and Waymouth. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm willing to branch a little bit outward to supermolecular/organometallic/physical organic. But probably not as far as physical or theoretical.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from visiting Cornell. I really liked it and I liked the faculty since I am more bio-organic, but a lot of people who wanted just traditional organic synth were not completely thrilled with the research available. They definitely have more bio-organic, the one prof who was more traditional organic did not get tenure so will not be taking students. They do have a new faculty member starting in May after finishing his post-doc at Scripps, who is focused on organic synth methodology and natural products. So I think it just depends what you want to do, but there were definitely people I could see myself working for.

Just got back from visiting Cornell. I really liked it and I liked the faculty since I am more bio-organic, but a lot of people who wanted just traditional organic synth were not completely thrilled with the research available. They definitely have more bio-organic, the one prof who was more traditional organic did not get tenure so will not be taking students. They do have a new faculty member starting in May after finishing his post-doc at Scripps, who is focused on organic synth methodology and natural products. So I think it just depends what you want to do, but there were definitely people I could see myself working for.

Out of curiosity, who is the new faculty member?

Out of curiosity, who is the new faculty member?

Chad Lewis. He wasn't there for the recruitment weekend, but he already has some first year grad students in his group that I talked to. From what they said, he is very young (28-29) and is the type of very hands-on guy who plans to be in the lab a lot. They seem to really like their interactions with him thus far, but they have only met with him in person a handful of times since he is still at Scripps full-time.

A thread for synthetic organic chemistry....thats good!!

I am an international student and till now

Accepted: Penn state, Boston University, Oregon state

Still waiting to hear from: MIT, Scripps, TAMU, Boston College

I would be meeting up with a professor at BU at the ACS meeting in san francisco in march........amyone else coming to the ACS meeting?