When do schools update faculty accepting students?

kristincas

The earliest I started seeing it last year was early in the summer.The majority of them had websites updated around September when applications started opening up. A lot of the schools never even updated who was accepting students. I got the best results emailing individual faculty members I was interested in working with over the summer. Some never replied but a lot of them did.

Not all programs/departments post the information on their website, so definitely reach out to any faculty you are interested in working with in the early fall to find out if they are accepting students! I came across many programs that did not have the information readily available on their webpages.

I concur with everyone else, and I'd also add that even if the faculty you're interested in working with do post on their website that they're interested in taking a student, it's still a good idea to contact them just to indicate your interest! I received advice during this past application cycle that this was a bad idea because the faculty may be annoyed by such an email, but after going through the process I've learned from both faculty and other applicants that just a simple email stating your interest can actually have a significant impact on the outcome of your application (although it's not absolutely necessary to receive an interview or admissions offer).

4 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

I concur with everyone else, and I'd also add that even if the faculty you're interested in working with do post on their website that they're interested in taking a student, it's still a good idea to contact them just to indicate your interest! I received advice during this past application cycle that this was a bad idea because the faculty may be annoyed by such an email, but after going through the process I've learned from both faculty and other applicants that just a simple email stating your interest can actually have a significant impact on the outcome of your application (although it's not absolutely necessary to receive an interview or admissions offer).

I second this 100%! When I saw that the website listed which POI's were taking students, I made sure to email to introduce myself and to confirm that they were actually taking a student as indicated on the website. Everyone I applied to were happy to confirm :)