Rejections? Acceptances?

ardas

I applied to U Penn and Harvard as well as Warwick and Exeter in the UK. I have heard back from the latter two (acceptances from both, now waiting for funding) but I was wondering if anybody has heard any news from the former two. I am not expecting much from them since my topic of research is a bit left field for the American market, i.e. Graeco-Arabic studies. Please let me know so I can start mentally preparing for my rejection letters.

Edited by ardas

I applied to U Penn and Harvard as well as Warwick and Exeter in the UK. I have heard back from the latter two (acceptances from both, now waiting for funding) but I was wondering if anybody has heard any news from the former two. I am not expecting much from them since my topic of research is a bit left field for the American market, i.e. Graeco-Arabic studies. Please let me know so I can start mentally preparing for my rejection letters.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Penn has already made offers. Congrats on your acceptances!

Hi Caput -- if you don't mind, what else can you say about this Penn situation?

I heard from someone who said their friend had heard they were waitlisted from Penn Classics, but that's all I know. Don't know if admits have heard yet. I applied to Penn, but not to Classics, to AAMW. I haven't heard anything yet.

I heard from someone who said their friend had heard they were waitlisted from Penn Classics, but that's all I know. Don't know if admits have heard yet. I applied to Penn, but not to Classics, to AAMW. I haven't heard anything yet.

I guess I got rejected from Penn too. What about Princeton? Chicago? Cornell? Yale?

Okay, to clarify...

Penn has made offers, both waitlists (based on the info above) and acceptances. HOWEVER, they have separate Classics and Ancient History and Archaeology (AAMW) programs. My info only comes from Classics, can't speak to the rest.

Princeton and Chicago have extended interview invitations.

Don't know about any of the other schools mentioned! Though I'm also interested in knowing... Can anyone help?

Edited by caputmundi

Cornell? Yale?

Assuming they're working on the same time frame as last year, both are still reading applications and should have decisions out around Valentine's or a week or so afterwards.

If acs is curious, Brown extended interview offers in early February last year, which were held around March 15. They interviewed ~15 people for ~5 slots. Classics, archaeology, and Egyptology all interview the same weekend.

Edited by kemet

Assuming they're working on the same time frame as last year, both are still reading applications and should have decisions out around Valentine's or a week or so afterwards.

Hey, kemet. Sorry to press for info, but do you know if those mid-Feb decisions for Yale are interview invitations? Or do they make offers solely based on apps?

Penn's classics and ancient history departments have notified accepted and waitlisted applicants. I'm not sure about AAMW. People have also heard back from Stanford, Berkeley, Princeton, and Chicago.

Does anyone know whether the IPGRH at Michigan has sent out invitations for its campus visit yet?

Hey, kemet. Sorry to press for info, but do you know if those mid-Feb decisions for Yale are interview invitations? Or do they make offers solely based on apps?

About decisions: the decisions are precisely that, decisions. You'll be able to log in and get your results. Yale is one of the nicer universities that doesn't drag about letting applicants know they're rejected (*coughPenncough*).

Edited by kemet

If acs is curious, Brown extended interview offers in early February last year, which were held around March 15. They interviewed ~15 people for ~5 slots. Classics, archaeology, and Egyptology all interview the same weekend.

To add to that, I have 2 friends who have already received their invites to the Brown interview weekend, which is March 5, apparently, in case that info is helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Freaking out a bit! I've applied to Master's programs at six schools but have yet to hear anything! No emails, calls, or letters. Do the universities typically send out their offers/rejections all at once? Should I consider contacting the departments I applied to?

Freaking out a bit! I've applied to Master's programs at six schools but have yet to hear anything! No emails, calls, or letters. Do the universities typically send out their offers/rejections all at once? Should I consider contacting the departments I applied to?

I don't think you should contact programs quite yet. You certainly can if you want, but I doubt it will speed anything along. From the list in your profile, I only know about WashU StL (they've notified for acceptances and waitlist) and Vanderbilt (they haven't sent anything to anyone as far as I am aware). Remember, though, that waitlists at MA programs can get pretty deep: the top applicants (in turn, the first acceptances) are likely to have applied to the MA program as a safety and many will end up turning down the offer for a PhD program. I wouldn't stress just yet--I know it's rough not hearing anything, but I imagine that they'll let you know something when they know something.

To add to the info above, the UA just got all their apps in on Feb 15 and I know they had about 70, so it'll be a few weeks until they sort through those. I've heard Vandy has made a couple offers, as has Mizzou but I don't know much about their programs.