I was admitted to SIPA for the MPA in Development Practice and NYU Wagner for the MPA in Public & Non Profit Management & Policy (International specialization) and was fortunate to receive funding from both. I'm aware that it's possible to request additional funding from each school, but as of now I'd be paying ~45k out of pocket for the 2 years at NYU and ~68k for the 2 years at Columbia. With a 22k difference (and this doesn't even include living expenses!), I'd like to know how Columbia's and NYU's programs compare (in terms of academics, internship & career opportunities, networking, practical skills training, faculty accessibility, etc.) and if I would be getting infinitely more from Columbia that would justify the extra 22k.

Will I have better job prospects and networking opportunities if I go to Columbia over NYU? Is the International MPA track at NYU comparable to SIPA's MPA-DP program in terms of skills & material learned? How accessible & involved are faculty at each? If you were in my shoes what would you pick and why? 

P.S I want to work in program management / development for an international NGO or foundation upon graduation with plans to found my own organization in the near future (hence why those hard skills & networks are extremely important to me). 

Both of these are excellent schools in public affairs/administration, with great post-graduation outcomes, networking, and career opportunities. The differences between the academics and skills training are probably more nuanced and would only be able to be adequately addressed by someone who attended both, which is unlikely to happen. I'm willing to bet that given their similar standing in the public admin world the differences probably don't matter that much.

Can you get contact information for some current students at both and talk with them?

On 3/25/2017 at 3:26 AM, juilletmercredi said:

Both of these are excellent schools in public affairs/administration, with great post-graduation outcomes, networking, and career opportunities. The differences between the academics and skills training are probably more nuanced and would only be able to be adequately addressed by someone who attended both, which is unlikely to happen. I'm willing to bet that given their similar standing in the public admin world the differences probably don't matter that much.

Can you get contact information for some current students at both and talk with them?

@juilletmercredi Do they have the same standing? I know that on some rankings I looked up (and I know rankings should be taken with a grain of salt at the grad level) SIPA ranked in the top 5 while Wagner was in the top 25. I have spoken to students from both, but as you mentioned, the answers to my question are hard to find since you would have to know both programs really well. I plan on attending both Admitted Students Days next week, so I'm hoping to have some clarity after that! 

• 2 years later...

Hi @mpagrad! I'm wondering if you ever got the answer to your question in this thread, from both SIPA and NYU Admitted Students Days and beyond; which you eventually chose; why; and have you been satisfied with the outcomes? The choice between those 2 exact programs is the decision I have to make, and I'm dying to hear your take! Thanks

• 3 years later...