Jump to content

Coming off the Waitlist After April 15?


Recommended Posts

My situation is this:

I was accepted to one university out of the four I applied to. I was put on the waitlist for the other three universities (all very well-ranked programs that most people would be happy to accept an offer from). 

I wanted to secure a spot before the April 15th deadline to the one school that actually offered me a spot because I don't think it's likely that I will come off a waitlist, let alone get an offer before April 15th. So, I accepted the one offer I received. 

My question is this: if I happen to be offered a spot by one of the other 3 universities and I want to go there, would I be able to accept? And how would I let the other university know of my change? I know that this would be very poor form, but this is only a hypothetical. Realistically, there is only one program of those three that I would really want to attend over the one I accepted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From everything I've heard/seen so far, yes you could accept. I'm not really sure of the exact way to do this but most departments say you need to notify them as soon as possible if you do not plan to attend, so they can open the spot up to someone else. I'd say just politely and professionally email or call the department and tell them that you will no longer be attending their program, and thank them. You'll likely lose your deposit as most are non-refundable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JcSLP said:

From everything I've heard/seen so far, yes you could accept. I'm not really sure of the exact way to do this but most departments say you need to notify them as soon as possible if you do not plan to attend, so they can open the spot up to someone else. I'd say just politely and professionally email or call the department and tell them that you will no longer be attending their program, and thank them. You'll likely lose your deposit as most are non-refundable.

Okay, thanks for the reply. I was not required to make a deposit (yet anyway), so that's not really what I am worried about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't stress too much about it, actually! If you get off the waitlist at your chosen school, just be honest with the other program. I'm sure it happens all the time; so many people get waitlisted by programs, and so many people get accepted to 2 or more programs and end up turning down those offers, opening up space on the waitlist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use