admission without assistantship

matinaf

I received admission offers from two top MS programs in US without any funding. Is it ok to accept the admission offer then appeal for assistantship/fellowship or wait until any funding is offered then only accept the offer? The general rule in US seems TA/RA given only after you are enrolled in the program. Any help is immensely appreciated. 

Thanks, 

FMT

Message people at the Department for advice. If they are confident that you'll be able to get an assistantship either there or at another department then I would feel free to accept. I won't know for sure about mine until May but I spoke to the people in charge of the program and they said I had a good chance. Ask current and past students what are the best departments to TA (not always your own). Just make sure it will cover your basics (especially if you're a non resident). I'm going through the same thing so ask everyone for advice. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the pertinent advice. I've been contacting my alotted advisor who recommends to contact Department Chair & coordinators for funds. Also , as most fellowships & assistantships are given to enrolled students only ( acc to university websites), makes me wonder, if I have a better chance of getting funds only after accepting the offer. What is the general method ? 

Thanks

Explain to the grad coordinator that you are very interested but are in need of funding. Ask them what are your options. If no funding is available, and you don't have other offers, then yeah, by the time they start interviewing for assistantships it will all be enrolled students. Asking current students to me was vey helpfull. Even if they didn't TA, the must know of someone. Ask the coordinator or your POI for grad students who are willing to advice you.