Health Insurance

APHI224

Hi,I've seen on some of the threads and in the results section that people who were accepted were offered health insurance and I was just wondering how that works. My parents don't have coverage (they're self-employed and have never really had any) so I have bought coverage from my undergrad all 4 years. I was hoping I'd have the same option in grad school, like maybe I could buy some sort of plan from the school, or does it have to be offered to me? When they offer it, does that just mean that they are helping you pay for it? I'd be happy to pay it on my own as long as there was something I could get. Getting a plan on my own would likely be very expensive but I don't really want to go without, I've seen what's happened to my parents over the years (they just never go to the doctor, even when they really need it because they can't afford it). So... what's the deal? Thanks!

Most universities now will make you pay a health fee regardless of your need to use their on-campus medical facilities which range in quality from excellent to avoid at all costs. Several universities I looked also had conventional health plans to purchase from as well.

I think "offered" means they're covering or waiving your health insurance fees in the campus program as part of your funding package, which can be $hundreds per term. In most schools I've looked at, the grad student health fees are marginally more expensive than the undergrad health insurance. If you're not offered insurance, you can go on buying it as usual through the school.

My husband was offered fully-paid health insurance in most schools he got accepted last year (big name private/public schools). The ones that were not fully-paid covered anywhere from 50-75% of health insurance. Pretty nice deal. It doesn't apply to spouses, I don't think. I'm still on my employer's. The school we're at now pays for 75% of his insurance and they don't charge for ANYTHING that he takes care of at their medical clinic, which is very nice. As a family, that was a big element in our decision when it came to picking schools.

I'll second all of the above and suggest this is one of the questions you should ask of current grad students when it comes to decision time. They will tell you the real deal about cost, access and quality. Everyone offers something called health insurance but the plans vary widely. You may also want to ask about dental and vision. Some schools I've talked to so far have it and others don't.