USC or NYU

Chong0318

Hi

I have to make a decision between two programs: Master of Visual Anthropology in USC and Cinema Studies in Culture and Media at NYU. The first is a one year program and based in Anthropology department, whereas the NYU's is a two-year program and more focusing on documentary filming (the program is cooperated with anthropology department and have many courses in anropology field)

I am interested in the crossing field of documentary filming and anthropology. After getting the master degree, I will seeking a job in related industry to gain experience to make films.

People say that "studying the independent and art films go New York and Commercial films to to LA". In my case, how should I choose? Anyone can give some comments in this two schools or this industry in documentary shooting

Thanks

I don't know anything about your field but it sounds like the first program would only give you half of what you are looking for. But it sounds like your solution to the lack of film-making training would be to get on the job training afterwards. 

Have you looked into what type of background you need to get one of those film-making on the job learning opportunities? How easy/difficult is it to get one? Would the training be equivalent or superior to the training you'd receive in school? I think these are important questions to ask professionals who are doing the work you want to be doing. Either ask personal contacts or do informational interviews. If you go this route, it will be crucial for you to land such a position, otherwise you'd be required to go back to school again to learn the filming skills.

I'm not fully clear on why you aren't sure about taking the second offer.... Does it have to do with the location of the program (NYC vs. LA) or more to do with the length of the program compared to the first school? Sorry for my ignorance but I wasn't sure about what you meant by "commercial" (I think you mean blockbuster movies). Would documentaries would typically fall under the "independent" category?

I really think you should be talking to people who do the work you want to be doing as they would know what it takes to get into the industry.

Good luck!

Edited by thelionking

On 4/2/2017 at 0:09 PM, thelionking said:

I don't know anything about your field but it sounds like the first program would only give you half of what you are looking for. But it sounds like your solution to the lack of film-making training would be to get on the job training afterwards. 

Have you looked into what type of background you need to get one of those film-making on the job learning opportunities? How easy/difficult is it to get one? Would the training be equivalent or superior to the training you'd receive in school? I think these are important questions to ask professionals who are doing the work you want to be doing. Either ask personal contacts or do informational interviews. If you go this route, it will be crucial for you to land such a position, otherwise you'd be required to go back to school again to learn the filming skills.

I'm not fully clear on why you aren't sure about taking the second offer.... Does it have to do with the location of the program (NYC vs. LA) or more to do with the length of the program compared to the first school? Sorry for my ignorance but I wasn't sure about what you meant by "commercial" (I think you mean blockbuster movies). Would documentaries would typically fall under the "independent" category?

I really think you should be talking to people who do the work you want to be doing as they would know what it takes to get into the industry.

Good luck!

Yeah, you are quite right that it is crucial for me to get clear what job skills I am lacking. Actually, I need both anthropology theories study and documentary filming skills.

Now I am more intended to USC because it is a one-year program which means the less financial burden on me( both two programs has no any financial support so far )  and its courses' design seems very practical in making films. NYU’s program has to learn three core courses(one semester) about film theories which I am not interested in so much.

Edited by Chong0318

• 3 weeks later...

We're on the same boat here. I'm also having a hard time deciding between USC and NYU. NYU offered me a spot in the MS Publishing: Digital and Print Media program but I plan on applying to USC's Digital Media MS, which only runs for a year.

If I decline NYU, then I'd have to make sure I really get in to USC's program. Not sure I want to spend 2 years at NYU for a Masters that can be done somewhere else for 10 months, but the thing about LA is I don't really drive - the reason I pick it is because I used to live there & most of my friends are still around so I have no choice but to overcome my driving anxiety. All the best with the decision-making.

Edited by jazzontherocks