The George Washington University

clim8phd

Thank you for applying to the Ph.D. program at The George Washington University. We understand that, if admitted, you may plan to seek financial aid to help finance your graduate education. Decisions regarding fellowships and assistantships awarded by the Trachtenberg School will be included in your official notification letter from the Columbian College.

While you are awaiting the School's decision, we have posted information about financial aid on our website, and we also have several opportunities we would like to share with you now as their deadlines are approaching quickly:

Do they really accept people to Ph.D. without funding ?

I received a similar e-mail. Was yours from a tsadmit e-mail address? And was the title "Upcoming Events at the Trachtenberg School"? It also says "This e-mail is intended for students who have been recommended for admission to the MPP or MPA at the Trachtenberg School" at the bottom, but the e-mail has that same message about financial aid "if admitted." Weird.

I received a similar email today as an applicant for the masters-level program in public policy. Very very very misleading email. Be sure to check the website for a decision letter - there might be one. I did not receive an additional notice guiding me to the website, but I checked my application status soon after I received this fellowship email and discovered I was not recommended for admission. Boo! Good luck!

Actually, take another look at the tail end of the email:

"This e-mail is intended for students who have been recommended for admission to the MPP or MPA at the Trachtenberg School, which is part of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences at the George Washington. You may not have yet received an official decision letter; your admission status should be viewable on your applyourself.com application account and you can expect the mailed version shortly. This is not an offer of admission. If you feel you have received this message in error, please call (202) 994-6210 or email askccas@gwu.edu."

It says "This is not an offer of admission". I still find it bizarre that they sent this out to all applicants regardless of their application status. I guess they were worried about the february 15th deadline for the first fellowship opportunity listed.

I received a similar email today as an applicant for the masters-level program in public policy. Very very very misleading email. Be sure to check the website for a decision letter - there might be one. I did not receive an additional notice guiding me to the website, but I checked my application status soon after I received this fellowship email and discovered I was not recommended for admission. Boo! Good luck!

I received this e-mail, but no e-mail regarding my admissions. I checked online and all it says is "Application under review" (or something similar). Where on the applyyourself.com website would it have the decision?

I received this e-mail, but no e-mail regarding my admissions. I checked online and all it says is "Application under review" (or something similar). Where on the applyyourself.com website would it have the decision?

I don't see a decision here either. just "Application is under review"

Do they really accept people to Ph.D. without funding ?

Yes, it's the norm. For the Master's program, too. They anticipate you'll work while going to school or take out loans. They give some funding to individuals, but you can't rely on it beyond the first or second year. It's unfortunate; GWU's field options looks amazing. Living in DC/NoVA while paying private school tuition for four years? Not so much. :)