Regarding "publications"...

dancedementia

Obviously we all know the major pubs that people want to get into - Science, Nature, Psych Bulletin, Am Journal of Psych, etc.

But when evaluating a PhD applicant's CV for "publications", how significant does a publication have to be to "count"?

So for example: I was published in the journal of a professional organization that I am part of (honor society). It is a very small journal and emphasizes graduate student research. I was also published in a small, state-wide journal. Obviously, these are "easier" journals to get published in than huge national ones, but they are still peer-reviewed and have a selection process. Do adcoms frown upon things like this? Can I still claim that I've been "published" even though they are in small journals?

While the major publications may carry more weight, other publications still count and will be taken into consideration.

For instance, I have a third author publication in a major, high-impact journal and a first author publication in a reputable & competitive, undergraduate journal. I interviewed this cycle at a top 5 clinical program and was asked a bit about my publication experience. I downplayed my first author pub by saying, "oh, but it was only in an undergrad journal." The professor responded by saying how that was still a huge accomplishment and how it was still relevant because I learned about the peer-review process.

So I'd say they still count. And they still carry weight in your application. If you talk about them, make sure to explain the experience WITH CONFIDENCE (unlike me :) ). If they are not peer-reviewed & kind of a "scam" journal-- that's where things get a bit sketchy, in my opinion.

Yes, include any peer-reviewed publications in your CV.

No, it is not frowned upon. An "easy" journal pub is better than no pub. It still shows your research and technical writing skills. I would exclude any non-peer reviewed journal pubs, though.