University of Georgia (UGA) 2017

Spidislav

Hi everyone! 

Since a thread has not been created yet for incoming UGA graduate students this year, I thought it would be great make one now, so we can talk with other incoming students.

To introduce myself: I will be attending UGA as an international PhD student in the Department of Plant pathology.

Did anyone attend the Accepted Graduate Students Day?

Hi, I'm going into the MS in artificial intelligence program.  I didn't attend the last event.  However, I am already familiar with the campus, and I have been told by other grad students that the accepted students day wasn't particularly helpful.  They say that they basically tell you what to expect from grad school and that it's a lot of work.  I will go to the one in June if I'm able to, though.

Well congratulations, and hope you will be able to go... and share your experience!

I am currently pretty stressed out- having to find the apartment while on the other continent. Do you maybe have some info regarding University housing...or something like that?

What are your plans?

(just trying to get all the information I can, because nothing is really explained properly on the websites)

I actually went to UGA for undergrad so I'm familiar with a lot of the areas, so it makes it easier for me to do from a distance.  I don't plan to live on campus, so I keep checking websites like rentathens.com.

If you are interested in University housing, which might be your best option at least for the first year or semester as an international student, you can register on the Dawg House.  I'm not sure which site you were checking, but https://housing.uga.edu/site/register_famgrad has some information about it.  That website mentions the three areas that are most common for grad students, but I think you can also choose to live in other residence halls if you want.  There is a UGA bus that goes to family and graduate housing that makes it fairly convenient to get to campus.

Alternatively, there are quite a few apartment complexes around Athens, some of which have their own buses/shuttles to campus, and some are on the Athens transit bus line.

If you have any questions or want to know about a certain area, I'd be happy to help!

On 4/9/2017 at 2:19 AM, Iykestarcom said:

Hello everyone, newbie to the USA from a different continent too. Got accepted into the food science MS program. How can one get around assistantships in UGA. Has anyone commenced registrations and stuff like that? Thanks.

That'll vary by program. There may be some information on the food science website on assistantships and advising for registration, but you could send someone from the program an email to ask. I'm personally not very concerned about registration just yet.  I'd expect some more information in the next few months.

On 4/11/2017 at 8:34 PM, Spidislav said:

lukestarcom, if you mean registration for classes, it is probably best to do that later, and to consult with your advisor or department head

I'm more concerned about assistantship positions, funding and other modalities before the start of classes. The cost is giving  me a headache, trying to figure out ways around it. No funding in my department, seeking out other options.

On 4/11/2017 at 2:28 PM, gdala said:

That'll vary by program. There may be some information on the food science website on assistantships and advising for registration, but you could send someone from the program an email to ask. I'm personally not very concerned about registration just yet.  I'd expect some more information in the next few months.

Thanks gdala, been working on that since I got the offer. I just think there may be more things to know, especially given that I'm far away and not in the system just yet.

On 4/13/2017 at 0:58 PM, Iykestarcom said:

I'm more concerned about assistantship positions, funding and other modalities before the start of classes. The cost is giving  me a headache, trying to figure out ways around it. No funding in my department, seeking out other options.

You can try asking some of your professors if they have any positions open or funding in a project- if you show that you are interested in their work they might offer that they pay the first year with project funding or smth like that, and then for the rest you could apply for scholarships or paid internship positions. 

On 4/15/2017 at 4:07 AM, phdcalling said:

Hi guys! I have just been admitted to the Counseling Psychology PhD Program. I am so excited! Go Dawgs!

Congratulations ! 

Hi. Thank you for creating a UGA 2017 thread. I am an international student. I got into UGA PhD program in Agricultural and Applied Economics and excited to attend UGA.

I wanted to ask regarding the housing. I saw the profile of the University Village and Rogers Road. which is a better place?

https://housing.uga.edu/site/housing_residence_universityvillage  

14 hours ago, Akash_I said:

Hi. Thank you for creating a UGA 2017 thread. I am an international student. I got into UGA PhD program in Agricultural and Applied Economics and excited to attend UGA.

I wanted to ask regarding the housing. I saw the profile of the University Village and Rogers Road. which is a better place?

https://housing.uga.edu/site/housing_residence_universityvillage  

Disclaimer: I've never actually been inside either of those apartments, but honestly I think they're pretty similar.  As far as location, they're pretty close to each other. The main difference I notice from the website is that University Village will be open during school breaks like Christmas and spring break. I think there are options for people to stay in other residence halls if theirs is closed during breaks, but you may want to take that into consideration if you would like to stay in your apartment throughout the school year.

Hi everyone! I am attending UGA for MFA in Painting/ Drawing- super excited. I applied for 3 different Public Service and Outreach Assistantships and am anxious about hearing back! Has anyone else applied from them and heard any news on receiving an award? I emailed the Director and she said that award letters were mailed out last Friday. I live in SC (my mail man didn't come one day this week) but I figured it would be today- if I got one. She also said students who did not get an award should be notified by the unit directors this week. Good luck everybody!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/7/2017 at 3:19 AM, Iykestarcom said:

Hi guys, please who has any information regarding off-campus apartments at Athens. Is somewhere like say the parks lakeside a good place to stay. GRAD STUDENT: MSC FOOD SCIENCE

Try looking around on Reddit or google for Athens apartment reviews. Realtor. com and zillow were also good. I was able to find some usual information that helped me make my decision.