Waitlisted, and all positions have been filled

Nashslam

Hello all! 

So, I have recently been waitlisted by BU for their sociology program for Fall 2017. I received an email from the graduate school saying that while all positions for the new cohort have been filled, they would keep me on the waitlist in case the situation changes. My question is, what are the chances of getting off the waitlist (I am currently the #1 on the waitlist), when they have said all the positions have been filled? And does this mean that everyone has accepted the offer for Fall 2017 and therefore cannot back out?

Also, is it possible for people to back out after they have accepted the offer? I am nervously waiting till April 15, hanging on to the hope that someone accepts an offer elsewhere and I get in, as it is my top choice.

Thanks for all your input!

When they said that all the positions have been filled, they mean that the number of admits who've accepted their offer has reached or exceeded their target class size (schools usually admit more students than they expect to enroll). In your case, I'd say "reached" is more like it. They probably wouldn't have kept you on the waitlist if they've exceeded the target. From what I've seen in these forums, those who have committed CAN back out of their commitment if they get accepted later off a waitlist or if a funding offer changes. Others may defer for personal reasons, though I would venture to guess that whether this results in an offer for you would depend on when in the admissions timeline they decide to defer. Another thing that may happen is that the department might receive more funding to accept another student. Not sure how likely any of this is to happen, but I've heard of it happening. You might want to ask if this school intends to inform you by April 15th though. I've heard of waitlists dragging on past then. If it does, you'll have to accept another offer if you have one.

Edited by ThousandsHardships

40 minutes ago, ThousandsHardships said:

When they said that all the positions have been filled, they mean that the number of admits who've accepted their offer has reached or exceeded their target class size (schools usually admit more students than they expect to enroll). In your case, I'd say "reached" is more like it. They probably wouldn't have kept you on the waitlist if they've exceeded the target. From what I've seen in these forums, those who have committed CAN back out of their commitment if they get accepted later off a waitlist or if a funding offer changes. Others may defer for personal reasons, though I would venture to guess that whether this results in an offer for you would depend on when in the admissions timeline they decide to defer. Another thing that may happen is that the department might receive more funding to accept another student. Not sure how likely any of this is to happen, but I've heard of it happening. You might want to ask if this school intends to inform you by April 15th though. I've heard of waitlists dragging on past then. If it does, you'll have to accept another offer if you have one.

Thank you for your advice!!