Vanier and Trudeau Doctoral Scholarships, question

Adelaide9216

Given the high value of these awards (it would be $90k combined!!), my guess is no. But in general, to answer the question "Can I hold awards A and B at the same time?", you should always check:

- Conditions of Award A (there is almost always a section on concurrent awards)

- Conditions of Award B (same as above)

- And, limitations of your graduate school. Most schools impose a maximum stipend that graduate students can earn, so while you might be able to hold both awards, you might not be able to take the full value of both.

I did a quick check of the first two requirements. Here is the Award Holder's Guide for the Vanier (also covers the other tri-agency stuff): http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp

- It says that there are no explicit limits, however, you must adhere to institutional guidelines and devote yourself to your studies/research full time.

And here is the same for the Trudeau: http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/en/programs/scholarships/scholarships-faq

- It says that you can accept other awards but if they are valued at more than $10,000, the Trudeau foundation may reduce the value of the Trudeau award (this is also a common thing to see).

I've seen people hold it at the same time--at least in name.

According to the Trudeau Scholarship website:

"It is permitted if the other scholarships or fellowships allow the accumulation of awards. The Foundation will reduce the amount offered if the total value of those external awards exceeds $10,000 CAD."

So if I'm interpreting this right, you'd have the monetary value of the Vanier in full and likely none of the Trudeau Scholarship's (since the Vanier's award is so high) but the Trudeau does come with other fringe benefits that likely stays intact (i.e., the mentorship, travel and research allowance) so if you can get both, get both :)

29 minutes ago, spicytunaroll said:

Any tips regarding applying for Trudeau?

Good question! I've never applied, but I'm curious to see what people will answer.

PS : Which scholarship is actually "Canada's most prestigious scholarship" between the two? Because on their respective websites, they both describe themselves as being THE most prestigious one. lol

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

PS : Which scholarship is actually "Canada's most prestigious scholarship" between the two? Because on their respective websites, they both describe themselves as being THE most prestigious one. lol

lol, of course they would each think they are the most prestigious :P

Although to be fair, the Trudeau foundation says it is "the most prestigious fellowship of its type", and I would count the Trudeau and the Vanier as two separate types of fellowship. The former is a fellowship awarded by a private organization that funds scholars and scholarly activities. Winning this fellowship also allows you to join the community of other Trudeau scholars, so it's more than just the money, it's admittance into a special group of people. Funding these fellowships furthers the goals of the Trudeau Foundation.

On the other hand, the Vanier is a government-funded fellowship that is awarded to support the best student(s) at each school. This is public, taxpayer money that the Government of Canada has invested into science, engineering, and humanities. Funding these students further the goals of the Canadian Government.

Ultimately, they all contribute to betterment of our society and it's great (in my opinion) to see both public and private organizations invested in the future of research in Canada.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am not sure about the Trudeau. But the Vanier application is specific to each school and you must be nominated by that school. Schools may have a process in which you compete for a nomination. I think you can certainly try to compete for a nomination at more than one school. However, you can only be nominated by one single school. If you make it through the process for more than one place, you have to decide which nomination to take forward. See: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/nomination_process-processus_de_mise_en_candidature.html