Letter of Reference

Hey All!

I just would like to know what kind of people would fall under a personal and a professional letter of reference? Would a professor be personal or professional?

Thanks! :)

A professor would be a professional letter, unless they have some personal connection to you (friend of the family, relative, etc). You should not get any personal letters for any kind of application for a job, graduate degree, or anything else for that matter. 

I am applying to a scholarship and it specifically asks for 1 personal and 1 professional letter. I just don't know who I would ask/who would be ok to ask as a personal one, since I never use personal letters for anything.

Perhaps the personal letter can come from a coworker or, if you are in any clubs, a fellow club member - not someone you have worked under, but someone you have worked with and who can attest to your character. And if that person is a friend too, that's an added bonus because they will really talk you up!

3 hours ago, zbny said:

I am applying to a scholarship and it specifically asks for 1 personal and 1 professional letter. I just don't know who I would ask/who would be ok to ask as a personal one, since I never use personal letters for anything.

Along with what @pbandj mentioned, other popular choices would be extracurricular mentors (sports, arts, etc.), school counselors, or community/religious leaders.

Edited by siitrasn