International conferences - master's students?

I imagine that's going to vary on where you go and what conferences you wish to attend. If you're in the UK and you want to attend a conference in France, it probably wouldn't be any more expensive than going to one in the UK. For the US and North America though, I imagine it's a stickier situation and I doubt it's a case of 'oftens'. I know the conference funding I get at my Canadian institution wouldn't stretch to a trip abroad, but maybe it's something that can be supplemented.

Edited by qkhitai

I am taking part in a conference in my city in the following months. I got funding for that, but it was in the city where I live, not so far away. But I saw another conference, totally related to my research's topic, lasting 3 days, but it would be in Europe and in 2018. I would be a 2nd year master's student when that conference would take place (so I would still have to finish and submit my thesis to get my degree). I don't know if it's relevant for me to participate in something like this, or if it's too early in my path to even consider it. 

I took part in the last edition of that conference (that was in my city in 2015) and I LOVED it. Loved it. I learned so much. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

It certainly sounds relevant and there are plenty of similar conferences in my own field I'd jump at the chance to go to. But there will be more conferences in the future, and if you miss one then you'll assuredly get the chance to go to another somewhere down the line. Also consider how important or rewarding attending any conference will be, and weigh it against your other priorities. I had to pull out of attending a conference recently, which was a shame, but I just had too much other stuff on my plate. 

I doubt anyone will fund plane fare from NA to Europe for you (although I'd love to be shown wrong), but you may get enough to cover fees and a hotel. If it's in 2018 you have some time to save some funds for yourself if you really want to go I suppose. Not sure what people feel about (partially) funding their own conferences, but it's something I might consider if the price was right.

It really depends on your advisor and how much funding they have. Also for some readers from the US, the Canadian Masters program is more similar to the first two years of a US PhD rather than a US Masters.

In the second year of my Masters, I went to a big international conference in my field that was in France (my program was in Canada). Everything was covered. I also took a week of vacation right after the conference and spent a week in Paris with my wife (she flew to Paris to meet me there after the conference). We were just married a few months before that so Paris was our honeymoon :) Whenever possible, I try to pair vacations with conferences in faraway locations so that it becomes a cheaper vacation for us (of course, I don't include any of the vacation days or expenses in my reimbursement claims!)

That's so cute @TakeruK! Thanks for sharing!

I've decided to ask my supervisor about this. We'll see what she answers. I hope I can participate! I'm willing to take the necessary steps for it. And I'm pretty sure I can find financial help through my university and various programs. 

Depends on your program and supervisor and field, I suppose, but mine at least is downright aggressive about having her MA students present at international conferences, including scrounging up at least some funding if possible. Once you're accepted to a conference and have that invitation in hand, its surprising what you can sometimes turn up in university funding. In general my department at least seems to have an expectation that if you're doing a thesis - which only a fairly small minority do - it needs to be at a level where you've got at the very minimum enough there to present at one international conference (and preferably a paper.)

(And then, some conferences will cover hotel fees or drop registration for students, sometimes. And of course some rare few will actually fund flights - I've been on the organizing end of that and I don't think anyones status as an MA/Phd/Emeritus Professor weighed particulalry heavily in choosing who got funding - it was all about fit with the conference and interest of the research.)

I've submitted my proposal. I really hope I get chosen. I already have identified organizations for funding if I get selected. 

The local conference I am attending next Month took three months to get back to us in terms of who have been selected for presentations/posters. Do you believe it will take around the same time? 

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 6 months later...

Hello, I forgot to give an update on this.

So I did the conference in my city in June (I was selected to do a poster presentation). I did not win the best poster award, but I'm glad I got the opportunity to present when I hadn't even started my MSW. I've also applied for a conference in Paris, this time, to present, and I should know if I am selected next week. That would be in August 2018. And I am speaking with my supervisor about attending a conference in the country in June 2018 as well.