Schedule Conflicts. What to do??

geichat

So here's what happened:

I got invited to an interview weekend at University A back in January, which (of course) I said yes to. I recently heard from another school and my POI made me an unofficial offer (lets call is University B. The visiting weekend of Univ.B happens to be the same weekend of Univ.A, both of which I would really like to attend. I think the best thing for me to do is to attend the interviews (the actual interviews) at Univ.A and skip the rest of the weekend (activities and such) to go to Univ.B?

However, what I don't know is what to say to Univ A. Should I be completely honest with them about getting an offer from another school? Will that hurt my chance of getting accepted at Univ A since I already said I'd attend their full interview weekend.

p.s. these are two of my favorite schools and I really won't be able to decide until I visit both schools.

Say exactly that to the visiting weekend school--you've already committed to that weekend for an interview, but you v. much want to visit the offering school.

I'm assuming it's going to be really awkward now if you've accepted to visit on the scheduled weekend though--was this via phone? If so, the most appropriate time would have been during the call--"I really want to come to the visiting weekend, but unfortunately, i've already committed to interviewing at another program, purchased travel tickets, etc. Is there another weekend I could visit?" I've done this twice so far with no problems, they know that top candidates for them are top candidates for other places.

I wouldn't skip the rest of the interview weekend though--that's as much as an interview as the other parts are. Especially since you said the interviewing school is a top choice...

As long as you're not cocky about asking the visiting school for another day, but just sincere, not a problem.

Say exactly that to the visiting weekend school--you've already committed to that weekend for an interview, but you v. much want to visit the offering school.

I'm assuming it's going to be really awkward now if you've accepted to visit on the scheduled weekend though--was this via phone? If so, the most appropriate time would have been during the call--"I really want to come to the visiting weekend, but unfortunately, i've already committed to interviewing at another program, purchased travel tickets, etc. Is there another weekend I could visit?" I've done this twice so far with no problems, they know that top candidates for them are top candidates for other places.

I wouldn't skip the rest of the interview weekend though--that's as much as an interview as the other parts are. Especially since you said the interviewing school is a top choice...

As long as you're not cocky about asking the visiting school for another day, but just sincere, not a problem.

thank you so much LaurenA!! Now I'm so glad I didn't just go ahead and accept to go visit school B. I think what you said makes A LOT OF sense. I'm really glad I asked before deciding what to do since I do find myself handling situations like these pretty poorly sometimes.

Thanks again so much!

Are the interview weekend days overlapping or the exact same?

I was...well am...in a similar situation where I was contacted by three schools within a 2 week period and their interview weekends are all the same weekend. However, my first one is a Thurs.-Fri. interview, my second one is a Fri-Sun, and my third one is a Sun.-Tues. and I worked it out that I would essentially be there for most of every interview weekend (I am only, sadly, missing the first meet the grad student night at one of the schools) by leaving at insanely early hours to fly to the next school. I was completely honest with each school concerning my situation, as I figured I would rather them know than me trying to sidestep the issue. Each school actually worked harder to accomodate my schedule and make sure I could make it to all the events after I told them (my hope is because they want me that bad to bend over backwards haha). However, if they are the exact same days, I think you should go with the one you have already committed to and ask the other school whether or not you can visit another weekend or at least have phone interviews with them.

Are the interview weekend days overlapping or the exact same?

I was...well am...in a similar situation where I was contacted by three schools within a 2 week period and their interview weekends are all the same weekend. However, my first one is a Thurs.-Fri. interview, my second one is a Fri-Sun, and my third one is a Sun.-Tues. and I worked it out that I would essentially be there for most of every interview weekend (I am only, sadly, missing the first meet the grad student night at one of the schools) by leaving at insanely early hours to fly to the next school. I was completely honest with each school concerning my situation, as I figured I would rather them know than me trying to sidestep the issue. Each school actually worked harder to accomodate my schedule and make sure I could make it to all the events after I told them (my hope is because they want me that bad to bend over backwards haha). However, if they are the exact same days, I think you should go with the one you have already committed to and ask the other school whether or not you can visit another weekend or at least have phone interviews with them.

thanks for the advice juror#1! thats really great that all three of your interviews worked out and didn't overlap with each other. i actually figured out that mine didn't overlap too much either so it should work out for me. im still waiting for the specific schedule of the weekend from one of the schools, but i think i could do thur-sat morning at one school and sat-afternoon-monday at the other.

good luck with your interviews!!

thanks for the advice juror#1! thats really great that all three of your interviews worked out and didn't overlap with each other. i actually figured out that mine didn't overlap too much either so it should work out for me. im still waiting for the specific schedule of the weekend from one of the schools, but i think i could do thur-sat morning at one school and sat-afternoon-monday at the other.

good luck with your interviews!!

I am so glad you got lucky like me and should be able to go to both! biggrin.gif And if you need that schedule a bit faster I emailed out my POI and told her and then asked what the last event was, and made sure that she knew I wanted to be there for everything.

Good luck with your interviews, I am sure you will knock their socks off with your awesomeness cool.gif