What would be a good rationale for this scholarship application?

Adelaide9216

Hello,

I am applying for another scholarship in my departement. I am eligible for it, so I decided to take a chance. However, the criteria says "related to a research project, including travel for research purposes, but excluding travel and associated costs for conferences."

My research project is already funded with CGS-M (SSRHC). I don't know what rational to put other than "funding my second year of study and help alleviate some of the study debt I have?" since my CGS-M is non-renewable.

Is that a good rationale?

You'll have to read the rules carefully and talk to your advisor.

It's not clear what is meant when it says the scholarship is for expenses "related to a research project". It could include funding your salary (since paying the researcher is certainly a related expense) or it could really be for research-specific expenses only, such as equipment/materials, paper page charges, travel for research purposes, cost to pay a company to conduct a study etc. 

If it does not allow funding of your stipend, then you will need to be a little more specific on what you want to spend the money on. Usually, students discuss this with their advisor. Since you are not starting until the fall, it might be too early to be thinking about this but it's worth checking in with your advisor to see what they think. Especially since it's a departmental award, they would be the one that knows about what types of applications typically win.

Also, whether or not you can apply this year for your 2nd year depends on the scholarship. If you are applying for the 2nd year, then you might have to wait a year to apply for it. Check the dates.