interviews

mnchick

Just to clear things up; I wasn't trying to say that Jeff Koons influences my work. I was just trying to show how ideas from more prominent artists can trickle into conversations and influence local discussion & dialogue. My work has been influenced more by deer I see while driving down the highway (aka; my present reality living in Idaho) than it has by Jeff Koons.

@RKSlim: Oh...sorry. I love your work, btw...wink.gif

I only made the connection to Koons because of the whole "kitsch meets craft" kind-of-pop commentary that happens in your sculptures. Really great...(Is it weird that I went to your site?)

And maybe he doesn't influence your work directly but, maybe that peer dialogue that spawns from his work does. Another question I love that I have been asked is "What are your indirect influences?" i.e. artists from other disciplines, music, books, etc. Sometimes we find these grains of inspiration from very unlikely places.

is anyone doing a skype interview for yale ???

they mentioned it as an option for me, b/c i'm from california.

but then they kind of downplayed it saying it was time for me to ''ante up''

like putting money down for a plane trip is some extra sign of commitment ...

i kind of see their point, but $700 for a flight + housing thats a lot to ask i think

was anyone else shocked they don't offer any housing/aid for interviews ??

ok rant over!

@lilnova: Thanks! Once you mentioned the Koons influence in my work it got me thinking, and I arrived at the same thoughts that you did regarding the "kitsch-meets-craft" that you mentioned, and also the stark contrast between his hi-production value vs. my low-tech assemblage approach. Thanks for taking a look at my site!

@kewpies: I'm amazed they offered you a skype interview instead of in person. One of the reasons (but not the only reason) I didn't apply to Yale is because of the in-person interview requirement along with shipping work to the school for the interview. As a sculptor, and since most of my work uses living plants, this interview, and shipping work, would have been insanely expensive. I can respect their statement to ante up, considering that the in person interview requirement is explicitly stated in the application process. It is generous of them to offer you a skype option.

just so i'm not giving any misinformation

i asked about options for the interview b/c in the letter i got it said that

interviews were mandatory for everyone except for people in foreign countries and those at a ''great distance from new haven''

which i thought was a little open

she mentioned skype as an option for those in ''great financial need''

but b/c i know a lot of people are working really hard to be there in person i haven't pursued that yet

@lilnova: Thanks! Once you mentioned the Koons influence in my work it got me thinking, and I arrived at the same thoughts that you did regarding the "kitsch-meets-craft" that you mentioned, and also the stark contrast between his hi-production value vs. my low-tech assemblage approach. Thanks for taking a look at my site!

@kewpies: I'm amazed they offered you a skype interview instead of in person. One of the reasons (but not the only reason) I didn't apply to Yale is because of the in-person interview requirement along with shipping work to the school for the interview. As a sculptor, and since most of my work uses living plants, this interview, and shipping work, would have been insanely expensive. I can respect their statement to ante up, considering that the in person interview requirement is explicitly stated in the application process. It is generous of them to offer you a skype option.

The Sculpture dept. at Yale does not want actual work, they review slides at the interview. Only the painting dept. requires actual work at the interview.

Edited by akinanana

The Sculpture dept. at Yale does not want actual work, they review slides at the interview. Only the painting dept. requires actual work at the interview.

Damn schools and their misleading app. process websites: http://art.yale.edu/Admissions

from their site:

"Final Selection

Applicants who have passed the Preliminary Selection Jury will be notified by mid-February. At this time, applicants are required to send or deliver original work to the School and will be invited to schedule an appointment for an individual interview in late March. The interview is an important component of the final selection process."

Where did you hear that sculpture student's don't have to send original work?

edit: I see it now... I guess I didn't read too much past that first statement. It would be nice if it said "except those applying in sculpture."

@kewpies:

You're right, that is pretty vague. I talked to a Yale grad earlier last year and he told me that I should even attend an open house before the application process if I was planning on applying. If you can afford it or can find a way to finance the trip, I would definitely recommend interviewing in person, especially for Yale. However, I know that it's not always possible. It would definitely be nice if they provided assistance with the costs. The only school that I've seen that actually covers these costs is the University of Michigan.

Edited by RKSim

Your work uses a nice variety of materials. I think we should start a thread to post websites, flickr accounts or whatever has our work on it. I am interested to see what else everyone's art practice is.

Wish they would have offered me a skype interview, I'm in California as well, and this trip is getting expensive!

I am also from California and interviewing at Yale. I am confused as to how long we are supposed to stay in New Haven. If interviews are appointment and a one time shot should we be staying overnight near campus for more than one night? I feel like we should be getting some kind of email as to what the goals of the process are but it seems all I have been told is what work to bring. If anyone has any insight on the Yale interview process let me know.

Thanks!

@afrost I don't think I am going to matt the work, in any case they don't require that as far as I understand. Will probably put it in a box. Wonder if it needs to be a special box or I could recycle an Illford paper box.

The in person interview is expensive but I think its an investment to find the right place for the next two years. I wouldn't want to save $700 now and end up in a school I don't relate to for two years and of course pay for the course!

@Rama: Maybe you have already heard of this...

I once had to interview in person for a freelance job and my friend turned me on to Archival Methods, a store that has all kinds of archival presentation stuff. Some of what they carry is expensive,but some of it might be really reasonable and will protect your work---especially if you have large format prints. They have everything from protectors to boxes and stuff.

Edited by littlenova

I am also from California and interviewing at Yale. I am confused as to how long we are supposed to stay in New Haven. If interviews are appointment and a one time shot should we be staying overnight near campus for more than one night? I feel like we should be getting some kind of email as to what the goals of the process are but it seems all I have been told is what work to bring. If anyone has any insight on the Yale interview process let me know.

Thanks!

Yes, I know. I'm from NYC and only have a hazy memory of New Haven, but I do remember that there is a big part of the city that is pretty ghetto, so I wish I knew of a good hotel near the school that isn't too expensive and might not smell like crack smoke.

They told me that you either have to pick up your work on the 30th or else have return shipping prearranged, so I might just use this as a chance to catch up with friends back in NYC. It also seems as if they encourage going to the luncheons, but I don't quite understand if that means that they will be having a different one daily or if it's only on the first day.

I do love the fact that they want to see actual work though, because things sure do look different on a computer screen. I guess we'll just show up and go with the flow.

First of all, thanks for sharing these great interview questions.I applied for MFA in Graphic Design/Visual Communications. I come from a non art/design background. Graduated form business school and worked briefly in advertising/marketing but still couldn't adjust myself to the world where $$$ matters more than anything (though we often pretend otherwise).

Interviews

Yale (3/29) <= having hard time registering the idea of being in the final for several days. no email sent. I logged on my page and it's there. I applied for 3yr program but they bumped me up to 2yr program without my consent and knowing.

Calarts (3/4) <= received email notification on 2/13, Chinese New Year's Eve.

I am VERY surprised and flattered (and now worried) that Yale decided to let me compete with the 2yr program applicants because I honestly don't think my portfolio is that strong. It hasn't been a long time since I decided to make a career path change to design at the age of 26.

I don't think I'll be able to make it to Calarts in time for the event. It's New Year's holidays now and visa office won't open until next monday. Plus, where should I live between the interviews? They're alomost a month apart! For now, I think I'll do a skype interview with Calarts and fly in for an in-person interview for Yale. It sounds crazy, flying in from Asia for just an interview, I know. The admissions office lady says they totally understand if I can't be there, and that they do skype interview with international applicants every year and it works very well. I wanna go because it's Yale. I never dreamed of the possibility of being associated with the name my entire life! What do you guys think? Should I stay or should I fly? Is a skype interview less advantageous than an on-site interview?

@jestem, like you, i was very surprise when yale asked for an interview too. if you have the funds to come to the untied states for the yale interview I would do it. it'll show them that you are serious about the program and do want to come. congrats to you!

@ mnchick I wrote to Yale asking for the size and they said whatever size you have! So I am not sure -am thinking of printing 11X14 going by the requiremnets of some other schools. Do they expect it to be the size one intends for the work for display?

@ littlenova Thanks for the link. Will look it up.

Got a call from MassArts yeaterday for interview. Here's the list

University of New Mexico-rejected

Yale -interview

MassArts-interview

Icp_Bard -waiting

Columbia Univ-

RISD-

Has anyone heard from these places?

@rama: i talked to the admissions and they said the same thing. i was thinking about printing 16x20 but my actual print size are 22x27.5 and there isn't a big difference. i don't know what i'll do because i'll have to make 11x17 for SAIC too. I talked to a past yale photo student and she said size isn't a factor, now with that said don't make any 8x10. good luck on your interviews.

@rama: I am surprised at your rejection from UNM...But, who cares if you get to go to YALE!!!! Bard sent out rejection emails already. My close friend got hers last week...So that may be a good sign.

just got an email from ICP-Bard for an interview.

1) (like Rama said) any ideas on size?

2) anyone have an idea of how many ppl were chosen for interviews out of how many? and how many spots we are competing for?

the nerves just kicked in!

@mnchick @rama @chenga In terms of sizes, I would suggest something that best suites your work. Sounds dumb but bigger isn't always better, and small might be too small. For my photo portfolio, I usually size prints at 16x20. But for exhibitions, my photos are 24x20 to 24x30 framed. Presentation and professionalism is key. Also I usually don't mat prints and just present loose prints in a custom portfolio clamshell box.

I assume the interviews will be like photo reviews and have you spread out photos over a table or flip through the box.

good luck everyone!

I know of a few interview questions that were not on the original list posted on page 1.

This one was asked to me for CCA last week.

"Why do you think now is the right time for you to go to graduate school."

and

" What have you done since you have graduated" (I graduated in May)

last year a friend of mine was asked

"Why havent you taken any time off between your BFA and applying for you MFA" he was finishing his senior year and going straight to grad school.

Does anyone know the number of applicants each school interviews? And how many of those interviewees they accept?

For example: Yale is 1,000-something applicants, 75 interviews, for 25 spots. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Just wondering what the stats were for other schools.

For those applying to MICA:

My interview went well today. cool.gifWe'll see what happens. Decisions will be made in two weeks.

Basically the questions were about my process and influences. I have a minor in Art History and two studio disciplines and she wanted to know a little about the coursework I took. We talked about the direction of my work and the faculty had some interesting ideas...

They definitely want to see some art history foundation,that you've been seeing other work and that you can articulate where you fit into this "moment" in art.

There are 6 spots and she mentioned the list for interviews was about 50.

The summer MFA program just added two professors from Columbia and Bard in video installation and sound.

Crossing my fingers...I want this soooo bad.