interviews

mnchick

I was also having interview anxiety. So I compiled all the sample questions I could find from last year's posts(sorry, i can't remember who posted what):

What for you constitutes a good work of art, what draws you to a piece of work? what motivates your work?

who are your main influences?

why do you want to go to graduate school?

where do you see yourself in 10 years?

why do you want to attend *this* school?

how does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

or describe your work in the context of contemporary art movements?

What do you think is a good critique of your work / bad critique?

Why/ how did you choose the people who wrote letters for you?

How will you contribute to this program?

What do you do for fun?

What artists who are no longer living influence you?

What books are your reading right now?

What are you working on right now?

Do you have any questions for us?

Be sure to name names. Remember not just artists but names of specific works, series, etc... plus quotes from artists/authors: you should have them ready.

please explain this work (xxxx03.jpg)

- Have you done research about cranbrook, how much do you know about cranbrook teaching method

- can you describe yourself, beside the graphic design world. such as personal habit etc.

- Do you have any question?? (I think this is important part since I think they want to know your interest about attending this school)

What is your work about?

What are you working on right now?

What artists influence your work? (Make sure to include some dead artists from long ago! Not just contemporary stuff. Remember titles of specific works and some quotes the artist has made.)

What draws you to a work of art?

What other aspects of culture influence your work besides art/art history? (Something along these lines...)

What book(s) are you reading right now? What do you think of them? (It helps to remember specific quotes that you find meaningful.)

Why do you want to go to our school?/How do you see yourself taking advantage of (insert school here) environment/program? (Make sure you research the school thoroughly -- know the faculty you will be working with and the types of courses offered.)

Finally, have some specific questions ready about the school. The interviewer will ask you if you have any questions, and you don't want to be caught scratching your head at that point...

Although at times frustratingly basic, these are all important questions. Before the interview, have some solid ideas about what you will say and how you will phrase it. For me, the most difficult questions are the ones that ask for a specific name or title. Be ready for those. Know the names of artists/authors, names of their works, and things they have said. Refer to those in your answer. Be specific, and be wary of over-generalization -- the more vague you are with a response, the more questions the interviewer will ask, and the more difficult it will become.

Atumble: Thanks this is helpful...I have answers for most of these...(I also researched from friends who applied in years past) but, I always have a hard time with this question:

Describe your work in the context of contemporary art movements?

VCU asks this in their personal statement and a few other places have asked this when I applied for grants and residencies. ? Without name dropping your influences, I imagine this questions your direct point of view,practice, etc. ? I think "schools" and "movements" are how alot of non-artists coin what we do. It feels like curator speak...ya know? Every artist statement, bio and paper I have ever read by an artist always seems to address specific concerns and how they relate to your practice. I have a minor in Art History and can write a decent paper. But, I feel like that question is a trap. I professor of mine (who is super "it" I might add) used to say that when you start to look around too much and begin talking too much---you lose the illusion, you lose your own way.

I dont' want to be evasive...but, I also am not going to spit out a bunch of hot air if I don't mean it.

tongue.gif

Edited by littlenova

@mnchick: I don't really know either. this is my first year applying as well and i didn't get in. I mostly applied because it has had a great reputation for a long time and many of my undergrad professors went there(late 70's, 80's). but when i asked them how the program was nowadays, they said they didn't really know. they weren't too familiar with the current faculty/program. however, considering how many people seem to be applying to Yale, yes I would say it's great. Congrats!

@littlenova: I know!!! or the question of how does your work fit into the cannon of art history? had to write about that for columbia's statement. yikes...it's like how do you approach that without seeming completely arrogant or completely out of the loop?? yes, i also don't like the idea of making up a bunch of bs. and also, it seems there are so many different trends/movements/schools in art right now and artists working all over the world in different ways. it's not so clear like it was when impressionism, surrealism...etc etc were happening. and i think that if you are in the present, making art, being critical, not a hermit, aware of art's history....isn't that enough?? it does seem like the people who are in the field of art but not artists are the most concerned about labels.

anyways, this whole subject makes my head spin. ha!

I was in the room while my wife did a SKYPE interview with cal state los angeles last week. I forgot most of the questions but some that stuck out to me were "what exhibitions have you been to in the last year" and "what artists influence your work" they also said "don't be nervouse, we've got a little kid here with us" they seemed VERY relaxed and laid back, makes me want to apply there next year.

ATumble, thank you for the interview questions. it is really helpful.

this may sound ignorant but this the first time I've ever applied for graduate school and just wanted to know if it's a big deal to get an interview from yale?

Hey Mnchick,

Me too, and me too!

I got the Yale interview as well (painting), but I don't really understand what this means as far as my chances of actually getting in go. They told me they have 21 spots and 74 interviews, but how many actual acceptances do they grant? Has anyone here ever gone through their specific interview process?

Hey Mnchick,

Me too, and me too!

I got the Yale interview as well (painting), but I don't really understand what this means as far as my chances of actually getting in go. They told me they have 21 spots and 74 interviews, but how many actual acceptances do they grant? Has anyone here ever gone through their specific interview process?

how did they tell you? i have an interview in the sculpture department, and trying to figure out how much competition i have...not that it really matters...everyone is going to have their "A" game.

Hey Mnchick,

Me too, and me too!

chiulahuamomma and 000era congrats to you both!!

when i talked to admissions, she told me there were about 300 applicants and the interviewing pool for photo was small and that they had 9 spots open. i took this as a good sign. i know a few yale photo alumnus and have schedule meetings with them to talk about the interview process. I'll let you know what they have to say and such.

Edited by mnchick

when i talked to admissions, she told me there were about 300 applicants and the interviewing pool for photo was small and that they had 9 spots open. i took this as a good sign. i know a few yale photo alumnus and have schedule meetings with them to talk about the interview process. I'll let you know what they have to say and such.

Thanks, any information would be great.

Thanks, any information would be great.

I have an interview coming up. My main concern right now is what sort of questions I should be asking them. Any ideas? I think I should ask about how interdisciplinary the program is and what resources will be available.

Well it seems as if we are all three going, but for different departments. Have you guys figured out where you're going to stay while you're in New Haven?

I'm staying at the La Quinta. it's almost 2 miles from the art school, but it was also only $59. everything right by campus seemed suspect or was more that i wanted to pay.

I received an email yesterday from CCA, telling me that I've made it passed the first round and wanted to know if I could do a phone interview today. I said yes. while phone interview should be easy, I found it extremely hard and nerve wrecking. I was doing fine until she asked me; How I fit into Contemporary art? It was a question I was thinking about but was still trying to find an answer for. I was totally stump and just honestly told her that it was something I was thinking about and gave her a completely different answer that did not coincide with what she was asking. I think I just shot myself in the foot.

It was a learning moment for me, Luckily the interview at Yale isn't until mid March and I have one other interview before that. I am honesty scared to death just simply because the ball's in my court and I have the power to determine the outcome of where I'll go for my MFA.

Does anybody have any advice on how to answer the one question above and are you guys feeling the same way I'm feeling?

Do all interviewers tell you that you are high at the top of interviewees they are interested in?

chihuahuamomma, I haven't even booked my ticket to new haven let alone look at where I could be staying at but I'm looking to fly into Hartford and renting a car to New Haven and will probably get a room at La Quinta.

Best of luck to all who are interviewing.

@mnchick: See?! I told you..I hate that question. It's such a trap.

I had an interview at Boston last week and they just asked me the same thing. Plus, like I mentioned before, VCU threw that curve in their essay requirement.

To make you relax...I don't know you and have not seen your work....

but...

Your interviews/decisions from schools so far are really amazing for someone right out of undergrad. They have to know that while your work is probably first rate----maybe you are still young (that's a guess) and are formulating your point of view. wink.gif I would not worry. Work trumps all of it. I really believe that. Relax and be yourself. You are obviously doing something right!

@mnchick: See?! I told you..I hate that question. It's such a trap.

I had an interview at Boston last week and they just asked me the same thing. Plus, like I mentioned before, VCU threw that curve in their essay requirement.

To make you relax...I don't know you and have not seen your work....

but...

Your interviews/decisions from schools so far are really amazing for someone right out of undergrad. They have to know that while your work is probably first rate----maybe you are still young (that's a guess) and are formulating your point of view. wink.gif I would not worry. Work trumps all of it. I really believe that. Relax and be yourself. You are obviously doing something right!

littlenova, what do you say when that question comes up? am i suppose to categorize my work and say such and such artist are making similar work but this where we differ? i'm so confused.

thank you for the kind words. it's really great to have a place such as this and to know that i'm not alone in the way i'm feeling about this whole process.

@ATumble Thanks for the questions. Its an invaluable guideline.

Has any one applied to the Yale MFA photography program? I wondere how many people they interview for 9 posts. I received an interview invitation from them and am nervous about it.

@mnchick, littlenova - How does my work fit into the perview of contemporary art is probably the hardest question to answer for me. It would be great to discuss though. Would be really helpful to know what the current students at Yale have to say about interviews.

Has anyone heard back from;

ICP-Bard

RISD

Columbia Univ

MassArts

Contemporary Art Question: I don't think this should be too difficult if you approach it methodically. The Wikipedia/text-book definition of contemporary art is:

"Contemporary art can be defined variously as art produced at this present point in time or art produced since World War II."

So as vague as that is, it points toward the more commonly heard "responding to the present" definition of contemporary art. I've heard this one from several people.

With this, what is your art responding to? Is it an art-topic? Are you responding to some-one else's work to create a dialogue/debate? Or are you responding to how you "are/live/exist" in the world? Or something else entirely? (cultural phenomena, movies, science, etc...)

For my work it is definitely a mixture, and I think that would be the best thing to tell anyone that is interviewing you. Personally, I am not making art about art, but art about life. However I try to do so with an informed context of contemporary art and a knowledge of current issues in the art-world. This to me ties in to the "which artists influence your work" question. While the inclination might be to drop some big names/heavy-hitters, I also prefer to drop names of artists who I know personally and whom I have exhibited with. The real debate/dialogue happens at this level. If I was responding to an art rockstar's work, it would be a dead end because they aren't going reciprocate a response (however these art rockstars often influence the dialogues happening at the local level; a few nights ago while having beers with a colleague, we ended up talking about Jeff Koons, Mel Chin, Mierle Laderman Ukeles, and Deborah Butterfield, to name a few). As far as making art about life; I think this is fairly obvious about my work, and is elaborated upon in my statement. One thing I really enjoy that a colleague of mine pointed out is that my work maintains an "Idaho" aesthetic/feeling; chopping down trees, shooting guns, etc. This helped me realize how much my work is influenced I am by where I live. When I was living in Portland during 2008 I was making very different work.

So how does your work respond to location?

Obviously, there is no single, correct answer. Hopefully this provide some jumping points to the rather open-ended topic.

Edited by RKSim

@rama, when i talked to yale admissions, they said there was a small pool interviewing this year. i assume 20 to 30 people will be interviewing for the 9 spots. i could be wrong. Congrats on your interview!

I don't know anything about the other schools but massart has a strong photo department. the faculty is really amazing. the only downside is their facilities.

@mnchick/rama: This question is the bane of my existence. blink.giflol... I think we should almost start a new thread, because I'd love to see what other people are saying as well...Asking this...sort of sprouts even more questions about how your background influences the perception, reception and display of your work. Where do I fall into art history? It's almost like asking why my work is important....? You can say you respond to X. But, my professor used to ask me why that response was important. This is where it gets hard for me.

@ RK Slim: So many great points...This is definitely a question about the world you are responding to and Jeff Koons couldn't be farther from my world but I can see that connection in your work. lol! So, yeah...excellent point about how your influences really kind of birth your frame of reference.

Here's how I *nervously* answered Boston:

(Please do not make fun of me.tongue.gif)

Random quote to deflect my anxiety...which bought me more time to think of how to answer.

I like what Tacita Dean once said when she was asked a similar question…She said, “I don’t belong to a particular school. My work resides in the truth of the moment and the sensibilities of the individual.”

"Your question is bullshit", I think to myself.

I don’t concern myself very much with making a certain kind of photography or what contemporary movement of art I belong to, but I am interested in solidifying my own point of view and the truth in that moment.

I did cite some specific influences that sort of paved that point of view. From women in photography to moments in my life that changed the way I saw the world. Then I spoke briefly about the theoretical vein of my work as a response to these influences; what new territory I'd like to tread on, etc.

Rebirth of Romantic Conceptualism

Spiritualizing my immediate relationships and life events

Considering my Latin identity and how it informs the stories I tell

The interviewer was highly responsive and asked me about a particular exhibition I had in Miami and I mentioned where I went to school and the artists I exhibit with because, I do feel we share a kindred aesthetic and have similar concerns.

That was about it. It was painless....until I played it over in my head 100 times. hahaha

Edited by littlenova