Speaking to Grad Students

yezzy123

Hi all,

Just wondering if it's too early to start reaching out to grad students at programs I want to apply to. I want to know mainly how they like the program, how they feel about the structure, whether they feel supported... just a bunch of insider knowledge that I (being in an MPH program) know are important to me in a grad program. I'm not necessarily trying to have an "in" to the program, but I just want to know if there are schools I need to cross off the list.

Edited by yezzy123

I would agree completely...wait until after the end of the semester to email grad students at these programs. Most of us are worrying about papers that are due in the next week or 2. Maybe wait until June to email them but don't forget that some students go out of the country to do research, so they might not get back to you quickly.

Great points! I think I'll check academic calendars before reaching out. I wanted to reach out now because I'll also be traveling this summer and wanted to leave some availability in case anyone from schools in the area wanted to meet in person. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Museum and Bioarch, Don't forget that some professors do field research during the summers so they will probably be MIA from email communication. I would say the end of July/August would be a time to contact. I remember reaching out around mid september before application season was in full swing

Yeah, I waited until after Labor Day to send out my first emails.  Also, don't get discouraged if you don't hear back from people at first.  Out of the ~25 professors I emailed, only about 1/3 ever got back to me.  And while I had some meaningful and insightful correspondence with those who wrote back, emailing POIs is not a make or break aspect of the application.  In fact, at the PhD program I ended up committing to, I didn't have any contact with any of the professors I mentioned in my application until I was invited to campus for an interview.