NYU or University of Melbourne? Decision has to be made in 2 days.

I've studied and lived in both Australia and the States (though I was in LA back then so I'm totally clueless about NY). The Masters I'll be doing is Digital Media, which is heavily focused on marketing, publishing, communication and branding. I have 2 days left to accept or decline NYU's offer.

Given I'm on a budget, the NYU tuition and living costs are definitely pricey (my parents are funding me and I don't really want them to pay that much for a Masters - I'm an international student so there are working restrictions for me). The University of Melbourne, on the other hand, is a shorter program. It's where all my friends went for their Bachelors and I've been to the buildings so many times that I'm loving the vibe (I was studying at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology that time, which was just a short distance away from Unimelb). Plus I'm looking for a permanent residence and as much as I would love to work in the States, Australia has an easier path towards a PR (I was given a chance at it when I completed my B.A. but didn't take it and now I feel like I should give it another go). NYU offers internships with magazines and media companies like Elle, Oprah Magazine and Google though, while Unimelb has connections with Lonely Planet. I keep going back and forth between the two.

So do you think I should move forward with NYU or Unimelb? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edited by jazzontherocks

This may not be too helpful because to me it seems like it's going to be an absolutely personal decision, essentially coming down to what YOU (think you'll probably) want for your future.

Obviously you know that there's no better place in the world for your field than NYC, and it will get you the credentials you need to enter any aspect of Digital Media, including at the most elite levels.  Then again that may not be what you're ultimately after, and if you're comfortable with what Melbourne offers and think that's the right fit, then go for it.  Then again there is something to be said for leaving your comfort zone. . . so you see where my comments may not be that helpful.

How well do the internship options in Melbourne line up with your career interests? Your situation is unique in the sense that you'd like to work outside of your home country after you graduate. While the internship options sound great in NYC, what is the likelihood of you being able to legally stay there afterwards if someone offers you a job?

If you were planning to do a PhD, I'd be more inclined to take NYU's offer because by then there will likely be a new president who imposes fewer PR restrictions and travel bans for non-residents. But considering it's probably a 2 year program....

If you could leave the NYU program with a substantially better skill set than Unimelb that would be good reason to attend NYU because this would make you more marketable no matter where you live. If you have a practicum supervisor or will be able to work alongside someone who has international recognition, then getting a great reference from such a person who is so prestigious and well-known could serve you well in any part of the world. But I'm not sure how likely it is for this to happen since you will be a practicum student.   

But if this isn't the case, I think it would be a shame to make professional connections with people who could offer you a job but, due to your legal status, you would have to decline. In a field in which professional connections are so important to get your foot in the door, I think it's important to keep in mind geographic location and your ability to remain in that country afterwards to work. By forfeiting your offer to Unimelb, you also forfeit your chance to become a PR in Australia. Are you willing to take that risk and return to your home country afterwards if you cannot remain in the US?

Edited by thelionking

Hi 3dender and thelionking. Thanks so much for all your input. You both did provide great insights. All I need is any job offer after my Masters and I'm all set for a work visa in the States. I'm also in the process of applying for an O1 visa meant for those in the media/music/sports/film industry since I'm actively doing music and social media writing so I hope one of these options work out. I've come to a decision that I'll be okay with going wherever the work is, be it in the States, Aussie, Singapore or where I am in Jakarta (Indonesia). I guess it's all down to my preferred university. Since NYU costs way too much, I might go with Melbourne University and see where that takes me (gonna be actively applying to jobs on LinkedIn and hope for the best). I still have USC and the UK as an option though (a 1-year Masters seems right for me given my family's budget) so I'll remain positive. Once again, thank you both for helping me out. :)