Feeling left in the dark

seung

I got into my program off the waitlist, so I didn't have the opportunity to visit the campus and meet folks with the first-round admits.  After receiving my acceptance letter, and after accepting their offer, I received a helpful email detailing some things I can be doing to prepare for the semester (sending in official transcripts and GRE scores; getting health insurance stuff worked out; etc.).  I was also notified of an orientation for all new doctoral students in the GSAS. However, I haven't heard much from the department.  I'm writing this in hopes that some of you can shed light on whether or not it is typical for there to be a "silent period" during this time of the year.  Personally, I feel that the department should have been a bit more proactive in helping us navigating logistics, getting us in touch with other grad students, etc.  Thanks for the help!

This is completely normal. At least in my experience, other than some message you might get from the Dept Chair or Grad Studies Coordinator after April 15 (or after you accept your offer), you probably should not expect to hear anything more until you arrive at the school (or in the weeks leading up to it).

However, you will probably get more correspondence from other parts of the University, e.g. the Faculty of Grad Studies, the Registrar, the Health Center, etc. as they will want things like your final transcript, having you officially register, create an email account, tell you about orientation, have you opt into health insurance if you'd like etc.

This is not to say that contact between you and the department is "forbidden" or anything! If you have a specific question, then you should certainly email the relevant person. Some students like to contact their potential advisor ahead of time and maybe get a head start on some reading, but this is not necessary at all since many others choose to take a break over the summer. 

Grad school is more like a job than going to school. So, you'll get all the information you need to know on the first day and you'll meet everyone on the first day, like any other job. We're all adults now, so we are responsible for initiating our own contacts and figuring out move logistics ourselves. But as I said above, if you do run into an issue and need help, definitely ask a specific question to the right person. (e.g. if you are having problems finding a roommate or other housing, it's fine to ask the department to send an email to other students, especially other new students to see if they are interested). But until you ask for help, it doesn't make sense for the department to hand-hold you. 

@seung 

I've also been somewhat surprised that I have hardly heard anything from my program (admitted & accepted). I did go and visit, during which time they outlined their expectations for our attendance at orientation in the Fall, answered our questions, introduced to current students, etc. But since that time (early March), I haven't heard anything at all. I feel like this is normal, but I'm First Gen and so I have to admit that actually I have no idea. It sounds like you're feeling anxious, Seung, waiting for the department to get in touch. I know I am! 

I should add that my department put me in touch with the current cohort, but we have not communicated much, most likely because they are incredibly busy. D:

Edited by Skyride Season

44 minutes ago, seung said:

I'm writing this in hopes that some of you can shed light on whether or not it is typical for there to be a "silent period" during this time of the year.  Personally, I feel that the department should have been a bit more proactive in helping us navigating logistics, getting us in touch with other grad students, etc.  Thanks for the help!

Yep, once I was admitted and accepted my offer (April-ish), there was a long period of silence until probably at least July, if not August. 

If you have specific questions, you should go ahead and ask them. It's totally reasonable to want to chat with prospective advisors or to want to be put in touch with some current students. You can write someone and ask any questions you have. But beyond that, what you're describing sounds completely normal. Think of this as your first lesson in becoming your own champion and actively pursuing questions and concerns you have. People might hold your hand a whole lot less than you expect, but they will be very happy to help and answer questions, if you ask them. 

There shouldn't really be much to hear at this point (and likely, the folks in your department are probably scrambling this time of year trying to finish everything up).  You should focus on tying up your loose ends and getting ready for a big move and life change.  Make a "bucket list" for your hometown and really savor and enjoy the feeling of guilt-free leisure time and the liberty of living life free of the expectation that you always be thinking about work.  Grad school is waiting for you at the end of August, and while this silence probably seems like an anti-climax after all of the anticipation, excitement, and pomp-and-circumstance of applications and acceptance, there will be plenty to interest and excite you again in a few months!

Though if you have questions that need answering, there's no reason not to contact the DGS about them.  You might also consider seeing if your department's grad students have a Facebook group or a listserv where you can get help related to finding a place to live and tips on moving.

Edited by jrockford27

Thanks for the feedback friends. This is helpful.  The last point of reference I have for anything remotely similar to this is the summer before my master's program.  Things were different then, and a doctoral program is quite different from a master's. 

It's completely normal! The faculty and staff have been so busy with you new admits' stuff in the previous few months that they have loads of stuff that they now need to catch up on before summer hits. Unless you have specific questions, there's also just not much that they could tell you at this point in time, apart from telling you the orientation date.

There's also been an 'official' silence with my new department and I've not really heard anything since I accepted my offer. I speak to my advisor-to-be regularly enough, but our chats are relatively informal. I've received no information from the school or department administration or anything. I don't even know when I have to arrive there for orientation yet. So yeah, it seems like this is quite normal.