Withdrawing Acceptances?

lev calderon

What's the norm in Political Science for withdrawing an acceptance, e.g. someone gets admitted to NYU but is pending at Purdue and knows she will take NYU over Purdue, shouldn't she withdraw her application from Purdue?

I do not know what the norm is, but that is exactly what I did last year. I felt it best to go ahead and let them know so they could offer the spot to someone else. I know I would like that if I was on a waitlist. That seems to be the fairest way to all parties involved, but I would be sure before I did it.

I thought of doing that exact thing with a few schools when I got into Madison. However, I didn't do it for the following reason: You never know what could happen. Yes, your acceptance is final and won't be revoked unless you commit some heinous crime or the university finds out you lied on your application. But what happens if we get another major economic crisis and the university can no longer support a cohort next year? What happens if the professors you would have worked with decide to leave for some reason and you no longer have anyone to serve on your dissertation committee? In short, you have nothing to lose by keeping applications active and a lot to potentially lose if you deactivate them. If you get into one of the schools you won't attend, just let them know that you are declining the offer ASAP and someone else should have your offer before that day is over.

just my opinion.

Those of us on a wait list don't want to hear this! biggrin.gif You do make some good points about playing it safe, however.

Edited by anxiousmike

I thought of doing that exact thing with a few schools when I got into Madison. However, I didn't do it for the following reason: You never know what could happen. Yes, your acceptance is final and won't be revoked unless you commit some heinous crime or the university finds out you lied on your application. But what happens if we get another major economic crisis and the university can no longer support a cohort next year? What happens if the professors you would have worked with decide to leave for some reason and you no longer have anyone to serve on your dissertation committee? In short, you have nothing to lose by keeping applications active and a lot to potentially lose if you deactivate them. If you get into one of the schools you won't attend, just let them know that you are declining the offer ASAP and someone else should have your offer before that day is over.

just my opinion.

I agree, and that is why I said to be absolutely sure. Last year I let most of them know, but I did keep two open until the April 15 deadline. As this progresses and you get into more schools you may see that some are so much different than you thought, or some just are much worse than others. At least this was my post-visit experience last time.

If you have two reasonable offers from schools in the same tier, it's time to start informing the other schools that you won't be going to there. For example, if you are in at Rochester and NYU, you should formally decline Davis's offer and withdraw your application from UT. Taking your name off of places you've already gotten into frees up funding for people on the waitlist, and withdrawing from the process allows more people to get in to those schools. It is the "right" thing to do.

If you have two reasonable offers from schools in the same tier, it's time to start informing the other schools that you won't be going to there. For example, if you are in at Rochester and NYU, you should formally decline Davis's offer and withdraw your application from UT. Taking your name off of places you've already gotten into frees up funding for people on the waitlist, and withdrawing from the process allows more people to get in to those schools. It is the "right" thing to do.

Thanks MM, that is what I am saying as well. It is not fair to the depts. or to those on wait, hold lists to be held up for no reason.

I claim USC. I'm IR. It was a personalized e-mail, so don't worry too much yet. :)

Is this not the perfect example of why, as Mearsheimer's Minion indicates, one should start withdrawing acceptances? Not only is it ethical, it's rational: it gives the admissions committees better forecasting and therefore applicants get more efficient results.

Is this not the perfect example of why, as Mearsheimer's Minion indicates, one should start withdrawing acceptances? Not only is it ethical, it's rational: it gives the admissions committees better forecasting and therefore applicants get more efficient results.

More efficient, yes. But there are some selfish reasons to hold on to admissions. One, you can use them to get free trips around the country and meet people in departments you might want to work for later in your career. Two, if a meteor crashes into the department you were planning on going to (or some more reasonable equivalent thereof), you maintain some outs.

That being said, reputation is important in such a small profession, and it doesn't hurt to get your name out there as one of the good guys.