What Degree?

hopefulGrad

I'm Currently an undergrad at NC State University with a double major in Computer Science and Business. I've been flip flopping back and forth for about 2 years now on whether I'd like to go to grad school for Comp Sci or for Business. I had my heart set on Computer Science, but since I started working at IBM I'm thinking an MBA would be better for my career. Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be more beneficial to me in the corporate world?

Thanks!

I had my heart set on Computer Science, but since I started working at IBM I'm thinking an MBA would be better for my career. Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be more beneficial to me in the corporate world?

Hey there,

If you ask around at IBM you'll probably find a bunch of managers with technical degrees (engineering, science, etc.) but no MBA. In my opinion an MBA is something that you would derive more benefit from after spending time in the corporate world. Going straight from undergrad to business school seems a little risky. There's the cost (both in tuition and the opportunity cost of lost earnings) and the chance that after 2 years you decide it wasn't the right thing to do after all.

Plus some large companies will fund your management training if you entered in a technical role.

Finally, some PhD programs are flexible and allow you to take classes from a variety of departments. You could even do a PhD Major CS and minor Business ...

That's my 2c worth.

Cheers,