Anyone Can Be a Data Scientist

ktbernoulli

I know I know, the title sounds extremely far fetched. Not anyone can be a data scientist... right? If there is anyone that can definitely be a data scientist, it's us statisticians. I haven't seen a field where our knowledge is evermore utilized, to the point where a true shift in demand is asking each & everyday. Oh sure, we always say 'but there's so much coding involved' or 'I rather do modeling than clean data.' Wow, newsflash: kids in the third grade are learning how to code: you should too; & think about it: if all data was clean, would we have developed so many algorithms to accommodate the data without destroying information? Dirty data leads you to more modeling discoveries!!! 

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited to remove advertisement

& thanks for reading, of course. My journey to my master's was paved the second I took my first true probability theory class; it was quicksand & I happily drowned myself in the stats. (:

Edited by ktbernoulli

4 hours ago, ExponentialDecay said:

Ask not whether anyone can be a data scientist; ask whether anyone should.

I'd be interested to hear why people shouldn't be a data scientist? The majority of people leaving my program (with or without degrees) and also leave academia go on to positions as a data scientist of some sort or another. Ultimately, to me, the type of work that a data scientist does matches my ideal career path: find answers to questions by learning how to analyze large datasets. Academic positions are the same skills but applied to academic questions, while the many other industries that use these skills to solve a wide variety of problems. Some types of problems won't interest me or I wouldn't want to contribute to but I feel that there are many other worthwhile problems to solve that will make a positive impact in the world :)

7 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

Some types of problems won't interest me or I wouldn't want to contribute to but I feel that there are many other worthwhile problems to solve that will make a positive impact in the world

Coming from the data science arena, I may just have to steal this quote.

• 3 weeks later...