It's 6 PM in California

DJLamar

And 9 PM here on the east coast.

I'm drinking a very rich, hearty, and high gravity chocolate stout in appropriate glassware and still thinking that at any moment I could receive a happy email from a professor at Berkeley offering me admission to their PhD program. I mean, the offer I received already from another school on the east coast was emailed to me around 7:15 PM local time, so I have at least another hour to go for tonight.

*sigh* I need to buy cigarettes (I'm not a regular smoker...).

The time difference always keeps me anxious through the early hours of the night - there's always that twinge of hope that they're staying late and they might actually email you at midnight after some heated adcom meeting.

Either way, if they email you tonight or not, sounds like you're having a good time. Enjoy!

I surely understand... on top of that, I've got MIT to worry about now as well. Come on guys, more e-mails!

I know right! I'm waiting on MIT too but at least I can be confident that they've gone home by 9 PM or so (or God, I would hope so at least).

The time difference always keeps me anxious through the early hours of the night - there's always that twinge of hope that they're staying late and they might actually email you at midnight after some heated adcom meeting.

Either way, if they email you tonight or not, sounds like you're having a good time. Enjoy!

I finished my beer :( I could have another but I only have one left and it's quite a bit of alcohol in one since it's so strong (~10% ABV) and still 12 ounces...

Listening to Tupac though and that always feels good :)

I know exactly what you guys are going through, two of my schools are mountain time. Actually, I just sent an email to a prospective advisor about the project he discussed with me. I just wanted to remind him that we discussed working together, and about some of my interests. This is good to do to stay on the radar right? I also mentioned that I applied (twice actually) and that I was eagerly awaiting a response. I thought it would be a good way to perhaps get an unofficial decision or find out if there's something wrong with my app. Good? No? Don't matter?

Not a drinker, so me and my eclair are enjoying a massive rainstorm in San Diego CA. Watched results roll in this afternoon for our top choice, but different department. The faculty we love teach in that department though.

Yup, just me and my eclair.

I know exactly what you guys are going through, two of my schools are mountain time. Actually, I just sent an email to a prospective advisor about the project he discussed with me. I just wanted to remind him that we discussed working together, and about some of my interests. This is good to do to stay on the radar right? I also mentioned that I applied (twice actually) and that I was eagerly awaiting a response. I thought it would be a good way to perhaps get an unofficial decision or find out if there's something wrong with my app. Good? No? Don't matter?

Well, after I was admitted to Cornell my undergrad research advisor recommended that I email profs (with whom I had had no prior contact) I liked at the other schools to which I applied, including my acceptance in the email and asking things like if they were taking new students and if they knew when the school would release decisions... so that can't be that bad an idea and I imagine it's a perfectly good idea.

How did that work out for you btw?

Eh, I think I sent four different emails. Two have yet to receive a response, one responded saying he might take students but is on parental leave this semester and didn't know his funding situation, one responded saying he wasn't taking any students since he already had 13... haha.