Looks like Yuster is up to their old tricks!

meridionale

Funny, they get about 10 submissions a day, and now all of the sudden they have 50+ submissions from today alone? You know, I should really just take all the "live graphs" he makes and post them on my site since it is made with the data you submit here. Mr. Yuster, do you think I won't notice if you just steal results every now and then from one day? I can see who my devoted regulars are, and I see their entries on your site. Now, maybe they are pulling the wool over my eyes, but let's face it, you're not exactly the most trustworthy person ever, huh?

Let's check the whois for the website again...

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353

Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: YUSTER.COM

Created on: 21-Apr-05

Expires on: 21-Apr-07

Last Updated on: 02-Mar-06

Administrative Contact:

Private, Registration YUSTER.COM@domainsbyproxy.com

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:

Private, Registration YUSTER.COM@domainsbyproxy.com

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:

NS2.YUSTER.COM

NS.YUSTER.COM

Registry Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK

Looks like the whois has been updated! Wonderful. Now I can call the correct company tomorrow.

Wake up guy. You stole your website from whogotin! Rip off!

How is it stealing? Whogotin doesn't even exist anymore. These results don't come from other websites, they come from people who submit them to thegradcafe.com

P.S. Try getting the gender right, too, "guy."

Just because a site is down, doesn't mean the author's don't retain the copyright to the materials. Gradcafe is simply a rip off of whogotin's web site, concept, and surveys!

Just because a site is down, doesn't mean the author's don't retain the copyright to the materials. Gradcafe is simply a rip off of whogotin's web site, concept, and surveys!

Again, I will give you $1 for every result I took from their site.

Edit: It's not that yuster's website is like mine, it's that he is taking the results that I am paying to obtain.

Acknowledge a good point when one is made. You ripped off whogotin's web site, survey concept, and idea. You are a thief.

Plagiarism is a serious offense in graduate school, you should know that. The fact that you stole from whogotin is plagiarism.

Plagiarism is a serious offense in graduate school, you should know that. The fact that you stole from whogotin is plagiarism.

Again, this is childish. I didn't steal anything, and the fact you are trying to even use that angle to defend a person who really did steal results only makes you seem like you are one in the same. You want to flame me? Go ahead. I'm a plagerising thief for taking an initiative, dishing out money, and then getting annoyed when someone takes my results (which are all original). You really need to re-evaluate your thinking.

It's clear to everyone that you stole this website from whogotin. Just because you spent 10 dollars on a domain name and 5 dollars on some database space, doesn't give you the right to steal from whogotin.

And it's the height of idiocy to claim copyright on whogotin's website. And it's idioitic to think that you can copyright on other people's admission results, which are facts and not copyrightable. It’s like trying to copyright a person’s hair color, or the % of unemployment in the US. There’s a reason why facts aren’t copyrightable, because otherwise there would never be any innovation. And if you think the admissions results qualify as original, creative works….well then there really isn’t much to discuss!

© 2006 anonymous creator inspired by Meridionale, but do not use because I will get angry and try to sue you…..but wait, i might riip off your ideas...

#1 - I never threatened to sue anyone.

#2 - I don't even know how to make a copyright sign on the computer. That was put there by the person who created the survey and results system, and quite frankly I think if he wants to put some form of credit at the bottom of the pages then he should.

#3 - In a supreme court ruling, it was found that the way a survey is given is not copyrightable, but the results of the survey are.

#4 - $5 for database space? That was free, but the domain did cost me more.

Oh your royal highness queen bee with your loyalists...read your own original post to see how pompous it was.

You make absolutely nonsense arguments. So you are saying, copying whogotin's concept who no clear attribution (which yuster actually does) is legal. But copying facts like admissions results and data from the census surveys are copyrightable? Wow, that's a first. Which law school did you go to? Podunk community college of law? clearly, your logical reasoning skills put you at the bottom .5% of the bell curve, so you wouldn't have done too well on the LSATs.

Give me a break. Give it up. Shut up already. You are an idiot and a thief who does not belong in graduate school.

Oh your royal highness queen bee with your loyalists...read your own original post to see how pompous it was.

You make absolutely nonsense arguments. So you are saying, copying whogotin's concept who no clear attribution (which yuster actually does) is legal. But copying facts like admissions results and data from the census surveys are copyrightable? Wow, that's a first. Which law school did you go to? Podunk community college of law? clearly, your logical reasoning skills put you at the bottom .5% of the bell curve, so you wouldn't have done too well on the LSATs.

Give me a break. Give it up. Shut up already. You are an idiot and a thief who does not belong in graduate school.

So, what do you suggest I do? Just delete this site?

You really should just stop painting yourself as a victim, because you did in fact:

(1) Copy whogotin without giving them clear credit.

(2) Copy automatic results from Yuster after they rolled it out without giving them clear credit.

And then you make a big fuss about being wronged.

Just shut the hell up and compete. Make a better web site instead of always whining. Not everyone saw the post, but you actually WHINED when yuster first rolled out with an automated website implying that they had violated the copyright of your manual survey! That's just plain stupid. Learn to shut up.

That's like saying Pepsi plagarized Coke when they decided to make a sweetened carbonated beverage.

meridionale- I highly doubt you need to be told this but it is clear you are on the moral, if not legal high ground (and I only say that because I do not have enough knowledge of copyright law). There's no way an objective observer would agree with "Guest"'s comments, but this is what you get with the internet. Information and ideas have a tendency to replicate.

You have the better community already, if you want to hang on to your spot just keep working to make your site better. what's the yuster guy gonna do, spend 30 minutes/hour every day ripping off your survey? He's degrading himself and certainly not making it up in adsense dollars. I mean come on--I bet my mom's blog get's more visits/day than him. :)

How absolutely ridiculous behaviour for an adult to be engaging in! You provide an amazing resource for grad students (and dewy-eyed undergrads :D ) and this person, for lack of a more pc word, rips off your ideas. May he go down in plagaristic flames if he ever enters grad school. It would be an excellent punishment.

Again, great great site!

Wow, I had no idea this was going on. I wondered what the hell was going on with Yuster posting a bunch of results all at once. I'm done with Yuster; it's offically unbookmarked. I should've read all of the forum more carefully when I joined a couple days ago.

And meridionale, please don't back down... we love this site and the forum, and all of the hard work you've put into it. It's terribly impressive that you can maintain a site like this on top of your everyday school stuff and everything else...and I know I, for one, have nothing but respect and gratitude for it. Don't let this guy stress you out...he's not worth it.

Wow, there are some seriously stupid people around.

I wasn't aware of the Yuster situation. What is objectionable (and probably illegal) is thieving thegradcafe's data, not simply taking the idea. Whether or not you prefer the look of the plagiarized site is a moot point.

It's like me taking the data -- i.e., the text -- of Romeo and Juliet, putting a pretty cover on it, having an advert on every 3rd page, and calling it "mine". It would not be "better" than the original in any significant way, irrespective of whether the font were prettier and the cover more colourful. If on the other hand, I took the idea -- romantic, tragic/comic play -- and wrote one in my own words, then it would be "mine". A comparison with Bill's work would be legitimate.

The idea that thegradcafe plagiarized whogotin in the same way isn't even worth engaging with. Presumably once the first human beings realized you could drink water, nobody subsequently should have attempted to drink anything else (on the basis that they would be "plagiarizing", let's say, Adam's "idea")? The "guest" should be happy -- my curiosity probably earnt his Yuster pal 0.000001c or whatever (s)he gets for each painfully slow, plagiarized-page impression.