PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

Just wondering if anyone applied to George Mason University? It is my alma mater (master's) and has very new Ph.D. program and just wanted to fish and see if anyone did apply. It is not ranked since it just started up about 2 years ago.

Congrats on all the recent acceptances! :)

New to the forum; found out unofficially that I was rejected from Columbia and Harvard through the results search. I'm waiting on Princeton and Cornell, although from what I've gathered it seems that Cornell has already sent out letters (?).

Interestingly enough, I've been rejected to every private school I've applied to and accepted to every public; Berkeley, Michigan, and UCSD. They're certainly not bad programs by any means but I'm extremely worried about funding. As has been noted in this forum, the public schools are reliant on state funds for fellowships; with the economy sinking and California in the red, I'm worried that I may not get first-year funding (which will be a deal breaker as I simply can't afford it). I'm kicking myself in the arse for not applying for external fellowships; I told myself that I would to hedge against this very possibility but of course I allowed the deadlines to pass (I know many on this forum are probably feeling the same way).

I did my undergrad at Berkeley (in poli sci, recent grad) and, given this, I thought it would be smart to leave the campus. I was ecstatic that I was admitted (given the fact that the department doesn't generally admit its own undergrads) but there are some very valid academic/professional reasons why I should leave. While the department at UCSD has generated a lot of buzz, I'm not so sure I'd want to live in La Jolla (I grew up in SoCal). Moreover, Ann Arbor seems/feels so isolated (although the department is super rigorous and of course, ICPSR is there).

I'm certain the GRE hurt me; 1280 overall (I was super jittery). Everything else with my app was great; 3.87 gpa, high honors in the department (honors thesis), magna cum laude, award for outstanding honors thesis, super strong letters from senior and well known faculty, and a compelling personal background (high school drop out, refugee, etc).

It's all a freakin' crap shoot really.

Congrats! Hope you have a good time at the recruitment weekend. Unfortunately, TAMU has their event on the same days and I already have tickets to go there. Maybe Texas will have another date.

Thanks flyingwalrus! Congrats to you as well; you have cleaned up this cycle! :)

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend either. I live all the way in Japan, and it just isn't feasible for me to get in for just two days. It took me two weeks to adjust to the time difference when I first arrived in August (I live in California-- +17 hours-- ugh) ... not really looking to do that again!

Keep me posted on what you decide, it would be kinda eerie but cool to meet the man/woman behind the posts, lol!

New to the forum; found out unofficially that I was rejected from Columbia and Harvard through the results search. I'm waiting on Princeton and Cornell, although from what I've gathered it seems that Cornell has already sent out letters (?).

Interestingly enough, I've been rejected to every private school I've applied to and accepted to every public; Berkeley, Michigan, and UCSD. They're certainly not bad programs by any means but I'm extremely worried about funding. As has been noted in this forum, the public schools are reliant on state funds for fellowships; with the economy sinking and California in the red, I'm worried that I may not get first-year funding (which will be a deal breaker as I simply can't afford it). I'm kicking myself in the arse for not applying for external fellowships; I told myself that I would to hedge against this very possibility but of course I allowed the deadlines to pass (I know many on this forum are probably feeling the same way).

I did my undergrad at Berkeley (in poli sci, recent grad) and, given this, I thought it would be smart to leave the campus. I was ecstatic that I was admitted (given the fact that the department doesn't generally admit its own undergrads) but there are some very valid academic/professional reasons why I should leave. While the department at UCSD has generated a lot of buzz, I'm not so sure I'd want to live in La Jolla (I grew up in SoCal). Moreover, Ann Arbor seems/feels so isolated (although the department is super rigorous and of course, ICPSR is there).

I'm certain the GRE hurt me; 1280 overall (I was super jittery). Everything else with my app was great; 3.87 gpa, high honors in the department (honors thesis), magna cum laude, award for outstanding honors thesis, super strong letters from senior and well known faculty, and a compelling personal background (high school drop out, refugee, etc).

Hey Spin - Congrats on all your success! You may want to be careful saying your "gre hurt [you]". You're likely to inspire a bit of animosity if you tell people you were "hurt," but were also accepted to Berkeley, Michigan, and UCSD - some of the best programs in the country. Michigan and UCSD historically do a good job of funding, so I wouldn't be worried (I don't know as much about Berkeley). Instead you ought to be pretty freaking thrilled.

Just wondering if anyone applied to George Mason University? It is my alma mater (master's) and has very new Ph.D. program and just wanted to fish and see if anyone did apply. It is not ranked since it just started up about 2 years ago.

Congrats on all the recent acceptances! :)

Huh, I did not even see that George Mason had a Political Science Ph.D. I think phds.org may not have had it listed in their find-a-program database when I started my search? Hard to say.

In any case, I applied to George Mason for their very tempting Public Policy Ph.D., so I do not imagine it would have been that good a decision to apply for Political Science. They may even share faculty, for all I know. My girlfriend was accepted there (amongst other places) for a choral conducting master's, so if I get accepted at all, we very well may end up going.

Quarex--- Yes they do share faculty... they also share faculty with conflict resolution. The Ph.D. program just began 2 years back... my current roommate is in her 2nd year of the Ph.D. program. I do not think many people know about it! They admit about 5 students a year (mostly international). Good luck with your application and that would be nice if you and your girlfriend could go to the same place... I know you said you lived in VA... is it northern VA? I live in Fairfax, used to live in Blacksburg, and before that Charlottesville.

I think the GMU Ph.D. will join the ranking soon... they have some great (well known) professors and are very accessible. The master's program has good placement in regards to PhD acceptances and "real world" acceptances.

I went to a conference at George Mason back in '06 and yes, they definitely have some very impressive faculty. I didn't apply to their program because I want one with an established track record. Also, I want to go into academia and it looked like most, if not all, graduates (from Public Policy anyway) go into government or the private sector.

Spin, I grew up in SoCal too and am leaning pretty heavily towards UCSD (assuming they give me funding). What's your subfield? Are you going to the open house next month?

one of the professors at Berkeley told me that he doesn't think funding will be a problem for this upcoming year (in that he doesn't think there will be admitted students without aid for the first year).

I think you really should look into Michigan out of those (unless you visit the campus and really dislike it). It's a top notch school and program with great placement.

Question: I just got a letter from NSSR saying that my application is complete and has been forwarded to the department for review. The department may contact you for further details and information requests. Additionally, they issued me an ID number so as to confirm my identity. How should I divine these words? Normal procedure for this funky school or I am one step closer? What do you think?